German Shepherds Forum banner

Properly holding a [big] puppy..

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  A girl and her dog 
#1 ·
First time was no big deal since he was a lot smaller.. now that he's grown a bunch in just 2 weeks, I was wondering if there's a proper way to hold him (until he's good to go with his vaccinations 100%, then he can just walk.)

I usually hold him.. kinda like a football.. with one hand under his chest/between his front legs. He was 7 pounds then and even at that weight, my arm got tired after 15-20 minutes. He's probably doubled in weight (I shall find out next week!) and I have to carry him in again when we take him to the clinic.. but he's so flippin' heavy and my weenie girl arms can't hold all that weight for that long, haha. Is there a proper way to hold him with BOTH of my arms instead of just one and.. how do you do it?

#3 ·
Don't pick him up like you would a cat - under the arms and lift.

Always make sure his front and back legs are supported in your arms - you don't want him dangling as this may cause an injury.

He could walk into the clinic on a short lead, just do not allow him to meet other dogs as you don't know their illness. And when waiting at the clinic, again keep him on a short lead in between your feet.

#4 ·
I grab our 45 lb pup to put him in the truck since he can't jump and I don't want him to by taking one arm around the front, one arm around the back legs. His 4 legs are on the inside of my arms. Pull him into your chest.

Make sense? I picked up our aging girl 65 lbs the same way when running her back and forth to the vet before she passed. Lift with your legs, not your back. Looking up toward the sky helps keep your back straight.

You are effectively supporting the butt on one arm and the chest on the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.