German Shepherds Forum banner

Raw meat blocks

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Mrs.P 
#1 ·
So im planning on feeding my puppy a Raw diet. And I know this place that sells these big frozen blocks of raw ground up meat pieces. Its also labled raw dog food. So is this stuff okay for a puppy to have? Also what else should I mix in with the raw meat? And last question, how much kibble would I use with the meat if any? And let's just say I start transferring to raw at about 12 weeks of age or so.

#5 ·
If you feel compelled to give the pup kibble besides the raw...I have heard it is not good to mix the two...separate meals if you must.....

Blacksheps %'s sound good...I might up the organ to 10% but keeping no more than half of it liver....too much liver = runs, I believe....heart does not count as organ meat.... Organ meats such as spleen, brain, kidney, eyeballs, ovaries, testicles, liver (especially liver) or any other secreting organ should also be included.

If there is no bone in the blocks you can either find bones which are suitable for your puppy or just use bonemeal constituting 10% of the overall diet. I do not think it is imperative to ensure that the dog gets theses %s on a daily basis...more an overall blend during a time period.

The meat you described sounds just fine for your pup ask if there is anything else ground up in their product....bone, organ..etc.

Here's an excerpt from Billinghurst's thoughts

Weigh your dog to learn how much raw food to feed each day. The amounts of ingredients in raw food diets are based on weight. Dr. Ian Billinghurst, a veterinarian who advocates raw diets for dogs, suggests feeding amounts that equate to between 2 to 3 percent of a dog's body weight, or about 1/2 lb. of food per 25 lbs. (11.3 kg) of body weight. Puppies should be fed no more than 10 percent of their body weight or 2 to 3 percent of their ideal ADULT body weight. Remember that more active dogs will eat more than a lazy dog. Most raw feeders use this guide:
  • Approx. 80% muscle meat with fat
  • Approx. 10% Organs
  • Approx. 10% Raw meaty bones. (also give raw meaty bones as treats throughout the week).
  • Green tripe can make up 15% to 18% of overall diet.
  • Eggs – Once a week, preferably raw, the white and the yolk.
  • Feeding these proportions isn't required everyday, but instead can be balanced out throughout each month. Variety is the key.
Most dogs make an overnight switch: one night its kibble for dinner, the next day they have a Raw breakfast. You can do this too. Others need a fasting period of 1-2 days- never do this longer than one MEAL with puppies. Do not mix kibble and raw, as the time it takes to digest kibble is far longer than it takes to digest raw -sometimes resulting in a stomach upset. Canned organic 100% pumpkin is great to have on hand to regulate any digestive upsets.

Good luck, let us know how it goes !!

SuperG

#9 ·
I'd give that a go.

Oh, pups can certainly manage chicken and turkey necks to help get their requirement of bone as well. I believe you can count chicken necks up to 30% of the overall blend since they are not solid bone. " A chicken neck is the smallest and shortest readily available bone type. This may be an option for any size dog, providing you observe your dog's bone-eating pattern. If your dog tries to gulp down the bone whole, than it is not an option."

SuperG

#17 ·
I just started raw almost 3 weeks ago. We did kibble as a separate meal for 2 days and then just went raw. I was told that mixing kibble and raw can make the dog sick due to different ways of digesting them. They digest the raw a lot faster. This is why even if the meat has salmonella in it, it doesn't stay in their system long enough to get a hold. Kibble on the other hand digests a lot slower so it would keep the bacteria or whatever in the dog's system longer, increasing the chances of getting sick. I think it is ok to feed separately though.

#18 ·
Oh and I want to add... I gave my girl a knuckle bone the other day. It kept her busy for a while. I took it away after a bit, planning on giving it to her at some later date. The next morning she threw up what to me was a huge piece of partially digested bone. I was freaking out! After doing some research and asking questions, I found out that it is a fairly normal occurrence. Still pretty scary to me. I haven't given it back to her yet. I am paranoid about choking and obstructions!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.