German Shepherds Forum banner

A good breeder?

6K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Harry and Lola 
#1 ·
Alright so we are currently looking for a good reputable breeder. Because in just 2 weeks we are hoping to have our new gsd pup:) So ive been skimming The internet for a good breeder for quite some time now. I have come across a few breeders but I wasn't sure if they were actually as good as they said they were. I have a hard time believing wat people tell me because of the last incident I had with a previous gsd breeder. Long story short, he lied a lot about his dogs and for some stupid reason I believed him just because he said he was a reputable breeder. So anyway I came across this one breeder who said a ton of good things about his/her dogs and sounded like he/her knew about the breed. Then we contacted them and we asked if they kept their dogs inside or outside and they said outside. And all the puppy pics were taken outside, so im asuming that the pups are kept outside too. Them when we told them that we didnt want a puppy from a breeder who keeps his dogs outside, he said the puppie scan become anything we want them to be (indoor or outdoor). I personally am definitely against keeping any breed of dog outside. So I guess what my question is ... Is this breeder a good breeder or a bad breeder? I feel like he/she is a backyard breeder but im checking with u guys just in case:)

#2 ·
It depends. Many breeders have multiple dogs and it's easier for them to be kenneled outside, the dogs have more room than a crate inside.

I would not rule out someone whose dogs were kenneled instead of inside because of that.

But you are setting yourself up for a spur if the moment purchase by setting a timeline on purchase. I would find a breeder you like, and then wait for an available puppy. Not look for a breeder that happens to have one ready in you set timeline. Not that it CANT work out, but I would not go that route.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
I think finding a puppy from a responsible breeder in two weeks will be a challenge. Are you looking on classified ads or are you actually researching lines/breeders? If so, I'd skip the ads. There are a few facebook pages with breeding announcements and pups for sale, that may be a better way to go than the ebay/puppyfinder sites. Not that you are doing the puppyfinder, but most good breeders don't need to advertise on such sites.

#5 ·
Start by your location. Search within how ever many miles your willing to drive.

Then make a list of all the breeders you like within your distance.

Make a list what you like and dislike.

Weigh everything out.

I drove 7 hours for my puppy. He was the best option for me, don't regret it at all.

#11 ·
I keep my dogs inside but I've got two puppies now that were from litters where one dog was a kennel dog and the puppies were raised in a barn type pen. If the genetics are sound and you get the puppy around 8 weeks, there is plenty of time to home-raise the puppy. If you insist on them being born and raised indoors, that is fine but just keep in mine a lot of great breeders do not do that and a lot of really crappy breeders do. It's not indicative of the person's experience with the breed or the quality of their dogs.

The timeline is going to be a huge hurdle because many litters are spoken for before the puppies are even born, so that's 8+ weeks out. You may find a puppy that was spoken for and then someone changed their mind but that would be more of a getting lucky scenario.

#13 ·
Inside or outside doesn't really matter. I know Finn was born in the breeders living room, but was moved "outside" after a week. The kennel was bigger than my first apartment and was better insulated and outfitted. Four large rooms for a pup to explore, plus several doggie doors that led to a large, fenced paddock where they were able to play and have a blast.

The only time outside should be a concern is if the dogs are chained up and they have no access to adequate shelter, water, or food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
It isnt. Ive found lots of different gsd breeders and im looking for the right one:) I want to be 100% sure that the breeder is right for me. Actually this breeder actually only had 1 male pup left. I personally like to have a choice of a few pups. But thats just me:) Also the breeder recently dropped the price for the last pup from 1000 to 850. Did he do that because he really wants to get rid of it? Sorry if I get kind of annoying with all my questions lol.

#16 ·
That's nothing compared to the questions Im asking!!! My list gets longer almost daily (although none of mine have anything to do with price...)

Are you looking SL or WL? What do you want to do with the dog? There are breeders close to you and ones that ship dogs from everywhere.

*disclaimer! I don't have a dog yet either but Im tentatively looking around at different breeders now*

#20 ·
IF the dog is going to be a pet be certain that the breeder's dogs are companions. Many working line & show line breeders are beloved pets as well as show or performance dogs but there are some whose dogs really aren't pets in any realistic sense.

Outside, inside really isn't a good indication of a good or bad breeder...Djibouti's & Phoenix's breeder has an outside kennel setup however her dogs are all rotated through the house, all have basic obedience, toilet training & house manners. She has a couple that always stay inside.

Whether you go with working, show or companion lines be very clear on what you want & need from your GSD. Are you certain a puppy is the best choice? Adults are soooo much easier (& more rewarding in many ways). I've gotten pups & adults. I've bonded equally well with both. Breeders often have, or know of people, who have very nice adults & older pups available. (I'd rather get an adult GSD from a breeder than a shelter or rescue b/c the background, history & pedigree are available from the breeder. For me, this is important, given the multitude of problems in the breed.)

#21 ·
IMO a price drop would be a red flag for me. Unless the dog has a problem (which I would avoid), the price generally goes up because the dog has had more training, more vet care (and at certain ages will pass markers like hip/elbow prelims), and the breeder has an even better assessment of temperament.

#27 ·
No, I don't buy from breeders that have a pack of GSDs roaming loose outdoors, but many do have kennels or large barn type setups. The past few puppies I've had, one parent has been a completely indoor dog and the other has been a part time kennel, part time indoor dog. If the dogs are just loose in a yard....doesn't sound like a very professional or experienced breeder.

#28 ·
Knowledgeable breeders give the dogs the time & training needed whether the dogs reside indoors or out. I need to know that the dogs are well suited to be pets. This might not be as readily apparent with dogs maintained solely in a kennel/outdoor setup. I've known several breeders who claimed their dogs were well suited to be pets b/c of their solid nerve/genetics, but their dogs were not kept as pets, were rarely placed as pets (& had a high failure rate when they were). Personally, I wouldn't get a GSD from anyone whose dogs aren't beloved pets regardless of what else they do.

#32 ·
Maybe I just take it very seriously...sorry! I dunno...I don't even have a dog lol Not yet anyway!! But when I get one I want to make sure Ive covered all my bases as much as I can as far as eliminating as much risk as possible in that dog not being what I want.
This is going to be my sidekick for a very long time. I better cover my butt and make sure I like him/her!

#37 ·
See I was under the distinct impression (and still am) that WL and SL are different types of dogs suitable for different goal.

This is why I say I'm not qualified! But I think your need/want list should be longer than price and birthplace. That's all

#38 ·
There are many SL dogs that compete in many sports. Individual dogs are suitable for different things. If you are trying to get to the top of a sport, you should look to breeders that produce top sport dogs. If you want to participate at club level, you have many more options. You will spend far more time living with the dog than on the field. Having a dog you can live with is important.

This is why people recommend meeting dogs. You may think you want a certain type of dog on paper, but find that it is too much dog for you in reality.

David Winners

#40 ·
Andy, I said it very poorly if it wasn't clear that I consider a solid, stable dog with excellent nerves to be an essential part of being a pet. Such GSDs exist among all of the lines. However, it is -imo- important when seeking a pet to choose a breeder whose dogs have a proven track record as pets. Numerous wl & sl breeders, whose dogs frequently show & compete, produce such GSDs. There are others that -again imo- simply don't. Their dogs aren't really pets in the usual sense of the word & when placed as pets they have a high degree of failure which is usually blamed on the owner.

Some examples...in a thread about the alligator phase a member noted that her wl never really struggled with bite inhibition. He competes in SchH but learned appropriate bite inhibition very quickly, very easily. Bingo!

In another thread discussing helpers, a breeder noted she's had to explain to some helpers that her dogs don't bite children, ie if the dog doesn't detect a threat he doesn't aggress. Another Bingo!

Another thread had a breeder who frequently places dogs with LE showing pictures of his dogs happily playing with his grandchildren. Yes!

Another showed a breeder cuddled up with her wl dogs & cats in one big furry love ball.

Another member stated he'd never known a GSD that was naturally good with children. I've always disliked the breeder he got his dogs from & that statement further cemented my opinion.

I've spoken with a couple of breeders & read of a couple more who take great pride in their unapproachable GSD who can't be touched even with the owner present. (In 2 cases that I know of, the dogs are so unmanageable they can't go in for vet care). I know of 2 people who not only use these dogs as studs but sell the resulting pups as 'family dogs'.

I personally believe that a GSD of appropriate temperament should be able to excel as a family pet regardless of whatever else s/he does. That simply isn't always the case. People seeking a GSD as a pet should be certain that the breeder they choose produces dogs that are in fact successful pets. They might also do IPO...or SAR...or detection...or LE. None of those preclude being an excellent family dog but it should not be assumed that a breeder is producing GSDs that are well suited to being pets simply b/c the breeder claims that they are. Much like always claiming to produce good temperaments, breeders almost always claim their dogs make great pets. Discerning buyers who are seeking a pet should be certain such claims are true.

People planning to pursue IPO, SAR, obedience, agility etc are advised to seek breeders whose dogs actively participate & succeed in those endeavors. The same s/b done when seeking a pet. This doesn't mean avoid one line or favor another...Just be certain that the breeder's dogs are pets in the fullest sense of the word.

#43 ·
I am currently rehabbing a WL girl who did not do well in her first pet home. She is not a pet, she is a companion, and that is what I love about her. She requires respect and a job of her handler. Sometimes dogs are produced who need working homes and that's ok.

#44 ·
op, i know exactly what from my next gsd. you need to be very sure of what you want and then find a breeder that can supply this gsd. be honest with your self and breeders you talk to. plenty of gsd being pts as they end up with the wrong dog. imho, wanting a dog in a two week time frame is mistake number 1. not being educated in the different flavors of gsd is your second mistake. limiting your geographical search is another mistake. seek out breeders on the forum and get their invaluable advice. and slow down. i myself would walk away from deposits rather than end up with the wrong dog.

#45 ·
Good on you for questioning the breeder.

My experience - I have had fairly good experiences with breeders of all my dogs except for one breeder which is a shame because he breeds for temperament and I really like the dogs he has produced but I would never buy from him again.

Talk to as many people you can and good luck with your new puppy:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.