German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - do some lines express more of one of the three landraces that were used to create bre
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
matthewm11

Default do some lines express more of one of the three landraces that were used to create bre

From my limited research and correct me when when wrong but von stephanitz purchased Horand; a type of dog called a thuringian shepherd that are smallish, gray sable, wolflike in penotype and on the sharp high strung side. He added bigger and mellower sheep dogs from wurrtenburg to add bone size and balance the temperment. Are these the dogs responsible for the classic red with black saddle
and muzzle? A third landrace from Swambia was added which were used mostly as service dogs, right? Any one familiar withtheir look and temperment?

I have heard working lines have a greater percentage of thuringian blood hence the less exagerated phenotype and sable colors common in these dogs, along with more drive and sharpness.

Do highlines contain a stronger percntage of one of these founding types? How about ASLs? Also are there lines that are nicely balanced among the three?
matthewm11 is offline   Reply With Quote