German Shepherds Forum banner

Can anyone help out?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  sechattin 
#1 ·
I have 9 month old that I'm having few issues with.

- When he was younger, he was nipping a lot. It looked like it was a "puppy stage" which later decreased significantly. He is still nipping though. Each time I try to pet him, he opens his mouth and bites me. Is this still normal behavior for a a dog that's 9 months already? I will start being strict about his nipping from now on. Any suggestions?

- Jumping on us. Nothing really works with this guy. I don't know what else I could possibly do. He is a lot bigger now, when he jumps, he can easily touch my throat area with his paws. It's just a matter of time before he'll take our eyes out. I tried turning around the second he does it, but he will just keep jumping on my back than which hurts. I tried sticking my knee out when he jumps, but he just jumps on my knee. I am loosing my patients and I having a feeling like he doesn't know that I don't want him to jump on me? How can I show him or have him understand that jumping on us is not OK. Is this a stage just like the nipping? Will this be over eventually or it wont be over until I train him? Any thoughts or suggestions?

- Last thing but not least, he will sit outside, for half the day or not even, play or do whatever he does, I barely ever see his scratching him self. The minute he come inside the house, he will scratch like crazy, it's annoying me. Why isn't he doing it outside but only inside?

We are loosing our minds with this guy. He is a good dog both when it comes to his temperament, personality but those few things are just driving us out of control and I do not have an idea how to deal with it.:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep he's a bit old to still be mouthing. I'm sure someone will have something to add to help with that. I would redirect with an 'anh' and if he continues crate him briefly. For jumping, I would try giving him something TO do. Have him sit. I would ignore him when I come in if that's when he's the most excited and only give him attention when he's calm. Be sure he's had plenty of exercise. Just being outside doesn't mean he actually drains energy.

As to the scratching - it COULD be the difference in temperature from outside to inside and the drier air .. maybe. That's all I can think of at the moment. :) It's also possible that he's scratching outside but you're not catching it since you probably don't see him constantly. He probably sleeps most of the time he's outside and waits for you to get home so he can scratch for you. ;)

#3 ·
No, nipping is not ok.

With both nipping and jumping, don't just turn around, leave him. Don't even say anything, leave him and close a door after you if necessary.

He's getting attention, and like a naughty child, attention, positive or negative, is rewarding to him.

Also start training a "down" ( not when he's acting out). Get treats and a good solid down. This will be useful in redirecting behavior.

How much exercise is he getting? Just letting outside doesn't count.

Like they say, " a tired pup is a good pup."

Up his mental exercise. Hide a treat or favorite and teach him to find it.

These dogs need lots of mental and physical exercise. It's well worth the time and effort.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I will start getting tough on him from now on. I think i just let him do whatever he wants and he knows that I wont do anything about it. The temperature change sounds about right. That's what I was thinking initially.

Given the below freezing temps in Chicago and insane winds, he is not getting enough exercise. it's currently -20 outside.

#5 ·
At that age, no, it is not a stage. It is something that needs to be corrected.
Can't really help with the gatoring, because here it stopped at 5 months.

But Hans was quite the jumper in his day.
I had him on a leash and when he even gave a sign that he wanted to jump, I stepped on the leash so he couldn't. I also made a loud and low "AH!" noise.
He learned that this was not OK with me.
I also did my best to get him nice and tired and not to talk to him in a high voice that would get him riled up.
Since he liked to jump, I threw a ball over and over so he could jump for it--- not too high, though. Growing joints need to be managed. Just enough for him to enjoy himself.

If the weather won't permit, you still can do the jump for the ball game in the house.
You can also see if he will search for a toy you hide. All that sniffing and searching wears them out. Good luck.

#6 ·
I have a bitch pup that will be a year in March. No nipping but her jumping is getting exasperating. She will get over it. I just keep telling her EH! Don't jump on the Susie. But she just has to get at least one jump in. Dubya was like that too.

This was years ago. I had worked with him because I knew I was going to have surgery on my wrist, and didn't want him jumping on me. So I finally thought I had it. For two or three weeks prior to the surgery he had not jumped on me. The day after the surgery, he ran right up and both front paws right on the bad wrist.

I lost it. I really do not know how I did it, but I picked his 80 pound self up and slammed him into the fence.

Positive training goes Boink!

It was like a lightbulb went off thought. "Oh yeah, you didn't want me to dog that." He didn't jump on me again for months though.

Sorry, couldn't be more help on that. Going to regular training classes should help though.

#7 ·
I hold the final straw when it comes to a TRAINED adult dog that knows what is expected. This is a dog that chooses to not obey a known command. That straw is an electronic training collar. The stimulation goes from 0-60, never used over 10, my niece has done over 20 just for fun.

It's the unusual stimulation they don't like, not a 'Rambo' level shock treatment. I also have 'vibrate' available, only used 'nic' electronic a few times. This was with our previous Lab, just an idea. If you consider one, study up before you buy or use one.

#9 ·
I will see how he'll act from now on since I'm really strict about his jumping now. If it won't help, I might consider the e-collar.

Another thing about him that is really annoying is each time I buy him new bed, he will rip it into shreds. That was always a problem with him since he was tiny. If I don't watch him, he will bite it and try to destroy it. He knows he can't do that. When we're in the room together, he won't dare to bite it. If you leave the bed with him while I'm gone for an hour, it's over. Is this normal for German Shepherd? Seems to me that he doesn't like beds. He never lays on it, maybe he doesn't like the feeling of laying on it? Maybe it's to cozy? He's not exactly the cuddly type.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
Very little experience with this but my (having a **** of a time with my new puppy right these days. haha) but one tip my breeder told me to do to help with the jumping on people.. as somewhat of a last resort, is to grab him firmly by the arm/shoulder when he jumps on you, square off, and stare him down, and say "OFF" but dont let him go until he is uncomfortable and pulls away. I guess this is supposed to teach him that jumping on people is not such a fun place to be. I'm new to raising dogs but my breeder had raised several shutzhund III dogs so i imagine she knows what shes talking about. good luck!

#12 ·
I'm interested to know what your reaction is after you come back to find a destroyed bed. I've had a couple dogs that just sincerely did not like beds, but most of the dogs learned that you will just stop them from chewing the bed when you're in the room, so they won't do it there. But when you leave, if you give a big display when you get back, he may have learned that no owner + destroyed bed = super loud exciting owner when they return! In either case, I would probably recommend doing a towel or something until he matures a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.