German Shepherds Forum banner

Excited for Saturday

985 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  zyppi 
#1 ·
I get my puppy on Saturday. I have so many toys and chew things ready for the little guy. It's been YEARS since I had a puppy and have a trainer lined up after I get the form filled out by my vet. Can't wait on getting my little buddy here already! My house feels empty without a dog. We decided on Geist for a name. Let the land shark phase begin!

#2 ·
Enjoy the full nights of sleep and peacefulness while you can ;) Make sure to post lots of photos! :D

#4 ·
I've had dogs that slept through the night on night 2 and I've had dogs that slept through the night after a month. You know, I've used a clock that ticked and placed it by the kennel along with a fuzzy blanket and had a dog sleep the first night. It's all on the puppy. BTW, I sleep 4-6 hours normally so through the night isn't that long for me.

#6 ·
I've never had an issue, but to each their own. I feel they had the warmth of the litter for their life span. Everyone has their ideas, what works for me may not work for someone else.

#7 ·
I only ask because I will be a first time GSD owner next week.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

I wake up for work at 5:30 and I'm sure the little guy will to when I get up. The problem is, that my wife doesn't have to wake up for work until much later. The little guy will either have to learn to go back to sleep after I get up shower and get dressed or my wife will just have to start waking up with me...

#8 ·
My husband wakes up about the same time you do and I work second shift. With my previous dogs, we both worked the same shift but could take the dog to work with me. This opposite shift thing may kill me LOL

#9 ·
I just wanted to add that Hunter and Hailey both weren't really chewers. So I never worried about them chewing blankets. If this puppy is a chewer I may bypass the blanket. The blanket is not a huge thing either, it's more of a fuzzy fleece cloth I got from a fabric store to lay down. The crate was not huge either for the puppy. I have a different crate now too so I don't know just how much my old doings will hold up.

That little piece of cloth I take to the breeder and get some good smells on it for the puppy.

#12 ·
I use an old bath towel in puppy kennels. Easy to wash and never had one chew on it.

I would get a nylabone.. not the tiny one. Pups usually cannot make a dent in it and if they do it's only a little piece.

I also allow mine to have a stuffed toy of the sturdier variety. Have had good experiences with the Sergeant North American Wildlife series toys -- if you can find them. Sometimes on Amazon.

Exciting time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.