German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Nosework speed of progress
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Okin

Default Nosework speed of progress

How fast do your dogs progress through Nosework? Is this something determined by the instructor or does the organization decide how the classes are run?

My dog loves doing it so we will probably stick with it but it seems to move a bit slower than I had hoped. We are on week three and are already doing 10+ boxes and environmental adds like chairs and random objects. There are hides under boxes, stacks of boxes, next to them, on random objects etc. My dog goes in and finds everything in a couple minutes.

I asked when the birch scent is added in and they said not until after 12 weeks! I was kind of surprised there was no imprinting of the scent done until two full six week classes are finished. I was hoping they would start imprinting the scent halfway through the first six week class but apparently not.

From talking to my trainer they have to get an ORT where they just identify the odor among a series of identical boxes. Then they can start to prepare to get a NW1. The closest place that does trials is 4-5 hours away so that can be a huge pain. 8-10 hours of driving to alert on one box once just so they can get started .. sheesh! Doing that drive for a NW1 that you prepared for is one thing but that is a long trip to identify one box once and be done.

The Nosework site only identifies one instructor in my entire state so I guess it is lucky they are in my city at least.