German Shepherds Forum banner

Getting Possesive..

935 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Harry and Lola 
#1 ·
Ok Alcide is 7 months now and loves his fetch and ball play every day (I take it away when we're done with it). He's been well socialized with people as well as other animals. When we were at the dog park the other day he starting getting very aggressive with other dogs when they came towards his ball only other time Ive seen him get like this is when a stranger comes near my 3 year old son.
Any suggestions to curb this? I was thinking to separate ball time and dog park time and just not bring the chuck it stick and his ball on park time.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Dog parks should be toy free zones. Do not bring it with you if you intend on going to a dog park. But I warn you, your boy is hitting the age most GSD tend to get snarky at dog parks and have to forgo them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Good to know guys. As always thanks for the tips this is the first GSD I've raised from 7 weeks or at all for that matter and he's my little Prince LOL. Think I should stay away from dog parks all together for the time being? What about trying some doggy day care out?

#6 ·
When mine were younger and I took them to a dog park I always bought their ball along. They were allowed free play time with other dogs then I engaged them in a game of ball play, I found this worked very well for us as they always seemed much more at ease and happier when they had a job (the ball). However, I always made sure I was the one in control of the ball and they got the ball at the park and then I took the ball when we had finished and put in a bag which I kept in my car - they eventually learned that they got the ball at the park and even though I took it off them when we had finished, I would always give it back to them next time - they learned to trust me.

When another dog came along and took their ball, I always took control and either asked the dogs owner if they would retrieve the ball from their dog or if I knew the dog, I took it back. Again my dogs learned to trust me and there was not one instance of aggression from them when another dog took their ball because they knew I would get it back.

So I had no problems, but I know some people do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.