German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My Parvo Puppy - (9 weeks old)
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newpuppyowner

Default My Parvo Puppy - (9 weeks old)

I would love some advice.

Our journey with Parvo started a few weeks ago. We made the decision to bring into our family a beautiful female 8 week old GSD puppy. I am a single mum with 2 daughters,,, it was a big decision to make and we were over the moon excited to bring her home. 17 hours after she arrived to our home, she got terribly sick,,, lots of vomiting, bad smelly diarrhoea, lethargy and loss of appetite not to mention she wouldn't take fluids by herself. We took her to our local volunteer animal welfare clinic (we live in a developing country,, its the only option we have) where the vet told us they felt it wasn't anything serious,,, and possibly due to the raw sausage we gave her. They did mention Parvo,, but the breeder we bought her off was reputable and they felt it wasn't an issue,, they didnt test her. She was on a drip for 5 hours and we were allowed to take her home. 2 days later she was admitted to the clinic and passed away less than 24 hours later. We were devastated.

The breeder told us he would replace our puppy when we were ready. We were told her sister from the same litter was still available so 5 days later we picked her up,, brought her into our home. She was such a barrel of fun and a massive amount of energy when she came to us WE picked her up last Sunday,,, 5 healthy days,, then on Saturday she got sick. We came home after our working day and the sitter told us she was lethargic all day,, and had vomited.. I panicked and rang the vet,, couldn't get hold of them. They rang me the following day and told me to bring her in. Sunday the volunteer staff stabilised her, by giving her fluids through her mouth and syringe. Monday morning she was diagnosed with Parvo and put on a IV. We were gutted and then we all realised the first puppy must of had it and now it was in our yard.

Since then, Daisy has been in the clinic on and off the IV fluids, is on several medications including antibiotics. I read last night that Tamiflu could assist so they introduced her to 10 mg twice a day,, starting today. They have allowed her to come home tonight as no one supervises the animals overnight and she is the only one in isolation. She is home,, on a IV drip again and I am boiling chicken on the stove,, (will puree and syringe a little into her tummy via her mouth)

Is there anything else I can do while she is in my care overnight?
Newpuppyowner is offline   Reply With Quote