German Shepherds Forum banner

Seperation anxiety? Or just not happy?

905 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
Okay guys. So with Elios, when I'm home he is usually silent, in cage or not.
And if he does bark (because he needs something or is bored) I fixit or tell him to be quiet. And he will obay my command.
But when for a day or half a day and my mom watches him apparently he just makes noises all day.
Is it because I'm not there? (Because if I leave he never barks like seperation anxiety)
Is it because he gets away with it? That they don't command him to be quiet like I do?
I think he is pretty attached to me. But I haven't noticed any seperation anxiety when I leave.
He does hate when the pack seperates though..
He doesn't misbehave with me . Because he knows not too.
But everyone says he is just crazy wen I'm not there.

#2 ·
I'm not sure that I could be much help, I just know what my girl does when I or my BF leave. She goes insane. She knocks things off the dresser (when we leave her in the room), bangs stuff on the walls just to make noise, jumps up and scratches the door, whines very loudly. I was told that she has SA and that a lot of rescues (like her) suffer from it, usually because they were abandoned at one point in their life.

What I try to do when I know I'm going to be out of the room for more than a minute (that's all it takes for her to wig out) is give her something to do. It's usually a bully stick to chew on or a Kong filled with peanut butter and treats. She also gets regular physical and mental exercise (off leash runs in an enclosed area, or long lead runs in the back yard, training sessions, lots of fetch and tug) just to wear her out, especially if we know that we will be gone a while. Even when she's in the crate, she gets something to engage in.

Another thing that will help is, when you come home, don't allow or encourage excited greetings. It's cute, but I've read that it doesn't help with SA. I usually just walk in casually and if she's calm or hasn't caused any damage, she gets rewarded. If she has been crazy, she gets ignored and then rewarded when she calms down. It also helps if you don't make your leaving a big deal.

I hope this helps! Having a dog with SA can be difficult, but it can definitely be worked through!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Thank you!'
It's odd because when ever I leave and come back he is silent.
But if it's my other family that is in the house he barks and stuff. So I think maybe they aren't giving him what he needs?
But basically I'm just going to stop leaving because he behaves perfectly when I am there and when I don't leave them with y parents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.