German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Whining, Growling, and Barking from Crate
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
scottkeen

Default Whining, Growling, and Barking from Crate

Ruger is my first dog, he's a 2+ year old that I got from a breeder. I've only had Ruger for 8 days.

I have a 6 year old cat who has bolted out the cat door and hasn't been home since Ruger tried to attack her. Other than that, Ruger is a pretty good dog.

I started putting Ruger in a crate 3 nights ago for a couple of reasons. For one, in case my cat comes home, I won't be awake to supervise or correct bad behavior. Also, as Ruger gets more familiar with my home, he's taking unwelcome liberties like nosing around the kitchen pantry and pawing at closed doors. Lastly, I just want my bedroom to myself.

So I started putting Ruger in a crate in the living room 3 nights ago.

First night was great, not a peep all night.
Second night he whined when I put him in but then settled down. Anytime I got up to use the bathroom across the hall, he whined and barked once. At 5:30 he barked again even though I was asleep in my room.
This third night, he whined and growled (wasn't mean growl, more like he was stifling a bark) and I'm going to bed as I write this and I'm concerned about the upcoming events of the night.

I see where this is heading. He doesn't want to sleep in the create and as he gets more comfortable being outside the crate, he's eventually going to bark all night long.

In every instance I've told Ruger "quiet!" and told him to sit, then lie down, and give him a treat then walk away. I put his favorite ball, a treat ball, in the crate with him. We exercise twice a day, the last exercise walk is at 6:30-7:30pm. He gets dinner at 8:00pm and I give him a final quick bathroom break at 11:00 pm just before going to bed.

I'm new to owning a dog, I'm a cat guy. I need your advice and help to make this work. Thanks.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote