German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate training

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  andrea04 
#1 ·
Any advice on crate training??? I feel so guilty listening to her whine at night

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Did you just recently acquire her?

If so, if you have anything (like a toy or a piece of garment) that has the scent of her litter (or parents), leave it in there with your puppy to make her feel comfortable. Also make an extra effort on sticking your hand in the crate and petting her, reassuring her that it's alright. I found these methods successful when I crate trained my pup.

#3 ·
Let her learn to soothe herself. I like sleeping with my animals, so I sleep with them, but I do crate training during the day. I put her in her crate AFTER exhausting her, and give her something she can chew on if she wants. She screams bloody murder as I step out the door to go feed my horse or go to class, or even just go down the road for a moment, and she's asleep in about 10-15 minutes.

Depending on her age, you might need to take her out during the night... I mean... when you REALLY have to pee, do you want to have to hold it for another 5+ hours? It can be uncomfortable, and while I know I'm not a dog, I would probably whine too. So if possible, see if maybe you can get up around 1 or 2 in the morning (or midnight, or whatever works best), and take her out immediately, and exhaust her for another 10-20 minutes, then put her back in her crate for bed.

And then... don't give in. The ONLY time you take her out of her crate is when she is quiet and calm. She'll eventually associate her being able to come out with being calm and quiet, and she'll be more calm and quiet. At first, if you have time, play crate games and put her in and out really quick based on how quiet she is. And extend the time, and so on. Other crate games are great for teaching HOW she gets to come out, and makes her WANT to go into her crate.

Remember, her crate is her safe place, and she should want to go into it. :)

And it's OK. Babies cry. If we cater to their ever want and need, they will never learn how to self sooth, and IMO, that's how people end up with dogs with extreme social anxiety, because they never learned how to soothe themselves and be alone.

#4 ·
is this a puppy?

Get an old fashioned clock that make ticking noise. Put it nearby.

If you take pup out after 10 minutes of whining, pup learns to whine 11 minutes :)

they will sleep.

Agree with only taking a pup out when pup is quiet.

Now my big guys think their crates are their den and even though I never close the doors, they go there to sleep.

#6 ·
I bought a huge crate for my tiny puppy and I think that was a bad approach. She's fine now... but she screamed so much at first I ended up sleeping on the floor with her for almost 2 full weeks. Until I could barely walk from the back pain.... And then when I would try to sleep on the couch or bed she goes nuts and Growls and bites me. It doesn't feel playful but I could be overreacting. Long story short we rearranged our bedroom so her crate is right next to the bed and it took 3 nights of crying and now she sleeps fine. I did cover it partially with a sheet. That seems to help her feel secure since I went with the wire crate.

#7 ·
How old is she and how long have you had her? Where is the crate?

I keep the crate right next to the bed, which not only helps the puppy settle at night, I can also hear when s/he wakes up and needs to go outside during the night to potty.

#9 ·
The crate is right outside my bedroom and I also sleep with my door open bc of the cats and my kids. I do get up in the middle of the night an take her potty. I'm going to try covering it with a sheet when I leave today.

She is almost 8 weeks old and we tire her out pretty good especially my kids. She's always following us and the cats around.

I'm trying not to give in:( I just need to learn like with a baby she will self soothe:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.