German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Member from the Ozarks
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
GuterHund

Default New Member from the Ozarks

I have been lurking for quite some time. This forum is a fabulous resource- I am so happy to have found it!
I am a long time dog/(other animal) rescuer. I have had the privilege of having had 2 purebred wonderful GSD's who were from working lines ( or so I am told...who actually knows I never saw any papers).
The first was in the early 1980's and was imported from Germany by a Schutzhund enthusiast. He was injured as a pup- a freak accident. The importer asked me if I would like to have him to physically rehab since he didn't have time or resources to devote -I was thrilled- I said YES!. He was precious.
I had always wanted to get a dog like that again- but- it seemed I always ended up with a full house without actually going out to acquire a particular dog. I had labradors, rottweilers, JRTs and Australian Cattle Dogs.
I had a (short) period of time in which I had no dogs and was doing some volunteer work with some local law enforcement folks. I indicated I would love to acquire a military or LEO dog who needed a home..idle blather .... 4 hours after making that statement, I got a call. There was a GSD female which had to be repurposed (?). She hadn't "worked out" for a small LEO group. Would I like to have her? I went to visit, she was drop dead gorgeous, she growled at me- I was hooked. Hehehe. What a clueless idiot.
We both survived. I got the best friend/partner you have asked for out of the deal. She was my shadow for over a decade. I was lucky and very blessed. These dogs are so very special.
She passed on Jan 1, 2014. I am here now doing my due diligence to find her successor and to prepare to give that dog the best home possible.
What an interesting, knowledgeable group this is!
So- helloo and Thank you for all your info.
An aside- I hope my username means Good Dog- if not, let me know.....hehehe I used some internet translator...
Okey doke. That's all folks.
GuterHund is offline   Reply With Quote