German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Chowhound Not Chowing
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Galathiel
Elite Member

Default Chowhound Not Chowing

My Varik is 10 months old (will be 11 months on 3/3). Normally, he's an enthusiastic eater that finishes his meal quite handily. However, he has been very 'meh' about his food the past few days and I'm trying to determine why.

Possibilities:

a) The food is 'not good' ..not necessarily out of date but has something else going on. It is autoshipped from Chewy and is Fromm Gold LBP. He's been eating it happily for some months. I will say that bag before last, toward the end of the bag he got reluctant to eat and was having loose stools. In hindsight, I made the brilliant deduction that his food must have been compromised in some way (old, moldy, who knows). Too bad I didn't figure it out earlier. *sigh* This is a new bag and he has been turning his nose up a bit for a few days now. If that's the case, then I'm reluctant to continue using Chewy or any other online company to ship in food. HOWEVER, he ate his supper just fine out of his Kong Wobbler so not sure what to think about that. Makes it difficult to get in his supplements using the wobbler all the time though.

b) He has taken a sudden aversion to the supplements in his food. He gets Solid Gold Seameal twice a day and 500mg of vitamin c with each meal (currently fed three times a day). I don't want to cut them out.

He still plays as usual and his potty habits have not changed. He does eat a large amount .. 1.5 to 1.75 cups three times a day. If his food goes below 1.5 cups, he becomes too skinny. I threw away what remained of his breakfast this morning for the first time and didn't encourage him to eat it all.

I would welcome any suggestions. I don't believe in catering to a picky eater and don't plan to start doing a huge rotation plan because frankly the food choices aren't here locally. I can now get Fromm but hate to buy from Petland as they now sell puppies instead of having adoptions from the local shelter like they used to. Petsmart is the only other petstore here, along with some feed stores. I don't want to feed any Diamond products and we don't have freezer space for raw at the moment.