German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New guy from FL
Thread: New guy from FL
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
OkaloosaGSD

Default New guy from FL

I decided to join the forum after browsing for a few weeks.

We just inherited an 8 month old GSD named "Pheobe". She is my 2nd large breed dog, but first large breed purebred. She is a high energy dog, yet very submissive and loves to work for us. We must have an assignment for her at all times. Pheobe walks about 4 miles per day (2 miles am and 2 miles pm). We also have a long haired piebald purebred miniature dauchshund named "Baxter". Baxter is a calm assertive dog that is assuredly the quintessential "alpha male". The pairing has been quite nice - as long as Pheebs has a task, Baxter very much appreciates laying in his tummy and watching her.

Some stats for your comments...

At 8 months Pheobe weights about 58 pounds, she eats 6 cups of Nitro Max Large Puppy Breed dry dog food. Heart worms are controlled with Heartguard and fleas with Comfortis. Baxter uses Trifexis, but recently has vomited it and I want to go back to the staggered approach with both dogs. Heartguard at time=zero, and Comfortis at time=5 days. Thoughts on my decisions for Pheobe?

She is the smartest dog I have ever had and that includes 4 doxies, a boxer/chow mix, a terrier/chow mix, and an English bulldog. Snaps of my fingers and a sharp "eeeyyh" will get her mindset in tune with me. I walk her on lead for the first mile, correcting for my pace at no more than a head's length in front of my left leg movement and the last mile, I take her off lead and correct with snaps and verbals. She is brilliant as I can get her to "heel" with distractions already. I'm excited about the audible control I have of this dog - more than I ever had in any dog before. She is truly a follower, and I want that in a big dog like this. Any predictions on how big she will grow? I'm guessing around 75-85 pounds? Maybe a little less?

Excited to finally have a GSD. Looking forward to learning from all of you and maybe one day help others out.

JC

We like to keep it German around here.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-22-2014 at 10:31 AM.
OkaloosaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote