German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog breeds you would never ever own (spin off of dogs you would)

6K views 60 replies 53 participants last post by  readaboutdogs 
#1 ·
Mini Dachshund, and Pugs.

#4 ·
Probably anything other than belgian malinois and working line german shepherds from reputable kennels.

Edit: Well maybe too strong a statement. Ive seen some shelties that were cute and drivey I wouldnt mind keeping around.

#5 ·
I'd probably "own" any dog as they are all of interest to me...but if I could opt not to own one based on pure aesthetics...I'm thinking I would never own a Chinese Crested Dog. If the choice was based on too "vocal" of a dog, I probably wouldn't own a beagle....they sure do like to make noise all the time...but they are as cute a puppy as any breed.

But at the end of the day, I love 'em all and certainly understand those that own the dogs I would choose not to own.

SuperG

#6 ·
pit bull
pit bull mixes
bully breeds, like cane corso's, doggo argentina's, presa canario and the like.

Sorry, I just don't like the way they look.

Neapolitan Mastiffs, chows, akitas,

any hairless breeds

Any tail-less breeds

Any corded breeds

Any with wire-hair breeds

Any breed that needs extensive grooming

Any breed that doesn't shed

Any breed that has to be docked or cropped to look like the breed standard

Any type deliberately mixed to produce a silly name: sheperdoodle, puggle, shih-poo

sighthounds

Northern dogs: huskies, malamutes, samoyeds, newfoundlands

pack-hunting dogs, hounds

terriers (unless I do not get my rodent situation cleared up)

toy dogs

It would be probably easier to type what type of dog I am willing to own.

#7 ·
Dogs I'd not be interested in owning:

Shi tzu and similar toy coated types - Maltese, Yorkie, etc.

Doodles of any sort

Golden retriever

Labs

Not a fan of most of the look of a lot of the squished face dogs - bulldogs, boxers, etc. My parents have a pug and she's really smart, sweet, and healthy, but I'd never own one.

Nothing against any of these, I know lots of people who own them and love them, just not my type overall!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
I would not own a beagle (too loud, and puppy sat 2 and they were TERRIBLE) or a rottie (beautiful dogs, just not for me) as well as toy breeds, just nto a small dog person.. I would love to rescue in the future so I can't say I would NEVER have one of them, just not my first choice..

#13 ·
Where do I start?? lol. There are so many I wouldn't want to own.

Pretty much any hound, terrier, toy breed, hairless, and wire haired.

Especially,

Poodles
Silly named designer mixed breeds
Komonodor
Cocker Spaniel
Portuguese water dog
Cane Corso
Beagles
Basenji
Chinese Shar pei
Chows
Pekingese

#15 ·
I dislike in particular any breed with the curled up tails. the exposed anus really is a deal breaker for me! Aside from that, there are several others I have no interest in owning. I pretty much just like shepherd-types. Including all Belgians, kings, and Shilohs. I like the looks of CaneCorsos and Dogos, alot, but not the temperament I would enjoy. Any pit/bully type is a definite no for me as well. I really like great Danes alot, but doubt I would go through the trouble of owning one. Only non-shepherd I have really considered is the Doberman.

#21 ·
I dislike in particular any breed with the curled up tails. the exposed anus really is a deal breaker for me!...
:laugh: My sister and I are the same way! DOOONN'T like curled up tails at all!

Also, I think any dog that I can't touch without bending over--Nope!
And I don't do drool, either. I have another sister who loves St. Bernards, but she is always cleaning up after them, lifting their heads to put drool rags under their jowls, etc.--Nope!

#16 ·
I like the look of King shepherds and Shilos but I wouldn't want one. I am thinking smaller is better for me at this point. On the other hand, I don't want Belgian malinois, Dutch shepherds or Belgian Sheepdogs or Tervs either. I like the look and temperament of GSDs better.

I like the look of collies, and especially shelties, but shelties are high energy and yappy. Nope, I will stick with GSDs. I have always wanted a Rottweiler, and a Great Dane, but I'm starting to feel my age now. 100+ pounds of big or scary dog is probably not what I need.

#20 ·
Don't want to own: terriers and toys

Would like to own (other than GSD) but just can't do it: A have a thing for Irish Wolfhounds. My neighbor had two of them named Chewbacca and Kodiak. Chewie was always my special boy in the neighborhood--I think he actually liked me as much or more than his owners and the owners would even admit that. But their lifespan is just too short. Chewie and Yak passed at 9 and 8 years of age. I was given the opportunity to say goodbye to both of them before they were PTS--such sweet gentle souls they were and sorely missed.

Here is a pic of Chewbacca (on the left) and Kodiak (on the right).

Attachments

#22 ·
THere are only a few I would own but if I had to pick one I would not own under any circumstance it would hands down be a corgi. My neighbor has one, has to be the most obnoxious dog I have ever encountered. I thought they were cute before I got to know one. Ugh. I would be dogless if that was the only breed on the planet.

#24 ·
Hmmmmmmm Let me see

I like all of my friends and families dogs. I like all your dogs. I love everybodys dogs. As long as they are somebody elses dogs.

Me, no yip yip dogs, no poodles, no toy dogs.

But I love yours!

#27 ·
I guess I'm an anomaly. I love big dogs and little dogs. I'm more iffy on the ones that fall in between. :) I don't really care for slick-haired dogs so that leaves out a lot of dogs. No dogs that require professional grooming every 4-6 weeks any more after having had one for the past 14 years (and counting!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.