German Shepherds Forum banner

Bite Suit Fabric?

9K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 ·
Anyone know the specs on bite suit fabric? Or fabric for snake bite protection? Military grade fabric? Any cut-resistant fabric?

I am shopping for a material I can purchase by the yard that will complete a backyard installation I'm planning (functional art, but needs to withstand small predators)... I need a fabric that will withstand snakes and raccoons and is water resistant, not necessarily waterproof.

Am considering Ballistic Nylon and Condura, so if you know anything about those, PLEASE share!!!

#3 ·
#4 ·
A coated 1000 denier cordura should be pretty tough stuff available in all kinds of colors and camo. All my pack stuff is made of that and it is very rugged.

You could research cordura vs ballistic but I think the cordura would give you a more natural look and be more abrasion resistant.

#5 · (Edited)
I would suggest canvas then. No need to reinvent the wheel. Cut to shape, put some eyes in it and hang it however you want. Short term you could use paracord, long term cable.

Bite suits are made from cotton, cotton nylon blend, flax and Olefin. Olefin is marketed as Herculon, and used for upholstery.

I'm no suit expert. Google rocks :)

David Winners

#7 ·
Good point. Google does rock.

I was just hoping I could get beyond google with this question... After all, people could google "my GSD puppy is biting me!" And get an answer. Thought maybe the forum could help.

Silly me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Did you think there were makers of bite suits here or something? I had to Google what mine is made of. Never really cared. It works.

And I have put up a shelter or 2.

I guess silly me for trying to help.

Good luck

David Winners

#11 ·
If it is for the dog....I still can't figure out how the tarp that I put under the 2nd story deck (the tarp was 7 feet off the ground) wound up ripped down and in tatters. Never underestimate the creativity and destructive potential of a dog. Not sure I understand the snake thing though.....

I think it is an unusual request which is why you don't see a lot of experience. When I had a dog pen I used this heavy black stuff with reflective coating. Guess what...it was SUPER strong. So strong that when a really good wind came up it twisted the frame of my dog pen but the tarp was all good.

Sheet metal roofing, A wood and shingles roof (like a gazebo) with room for the tree to grow.

#18 ·
It's actually going to be for my hens, but I thought what better than a fabric a dog can't bite through ;). Well, I know there's probably no fabric that's magical like that, lol, so I just might have to go a different route. Hmm....

#13 ·
#14 ·
I'm sorry, David. You were trying to help. I didn't mean to get snippy. That was rude of me :(

I was tired and should have just gone to bed because I was actually frustrated already trying time an answer on Google :( doh.

Actually was kinda hoping someone here did have experience!

I apologize for taking it out on you.

#17 ·
Waxed canvas is likely going to be the easiest and most readily available. Huge working knowledge base of the material too, it's been around for a long long time. There are some aramid type materials that would likely work better, but sourcing such materials can be a headache. Also working with the stuff can be tricky, some are so other-worldly tough simply cutting them to size is an ordeal.

#20 ·
I think I would really be inclined to do something gazebo like with wood. It could look very nice and you could top it with cedar shakes... You could make a skirt for the tree out of hardware cloth to allow for growth and to keep snakes out.

#21 ·
I hear you, Jocoyn! Thing is, I can't figure out how to put a rim around the tree trunk, other than a drawstring cinch... And the other thing is, which i haven't explained, is that this needs to be a moveable structure. I am renting. That's why I hit on the hinged panels... Did that years ago to create a rabbit habitat for my housemate. Something sturdy, that she could easily fold down and transfer when the lease ended. Wood frames, hinged, and lined with wire fabric proved the perfect solution. I moved before she did, but when it was time for her to go, she was able to pack up the structure and re-assemble it at the new house, and her 5-yr old daughter never was distraught about losing her bunnies :)

Only difference here is I need a taller structure (no biggie), and living in the deep east Texas forest more protection against predators, esp snakes.

That's why I want the impregnable fabric roofing. I'm thinking if I can secure it with a drawstring around the top, with enough of a grade, then predators can't get in, and I can move it among the 8-13 mature Pine and Hawthorne trees within my fence line for as long as I live here, and when I move, I can easily break it down and pack it up :)

#23 · (Edited)
Ive got cordura motorcycle gear and I dont think itd hold up to constant uv like full sun all day. Also isnt 15 dollars a yard enough to scare you off. Id use something cheaper and maybe reinforce the bottom 3 feet with fencing or chicken wire. My girl really doesnt try getting out so thatd be good enough for her.

Also- keep in mind the purpose of bite suit fabric, its something that dogs like biting. It feels like an animal and sets off prey drives. My girl had bitten some tubes and stuff at shutzhund and when I presented my cordura jacket to her at home she bit into it right away, I stopped that since its for me and not her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.