German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Vomiting from hunger when feeding raw
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eiros
Master Member

Default Vomiting from hunger when feeding raw

Hi everyone -

I know this can be common with GSDs, but Warden vomits bile when his stomach is empty.

We currently feeding a pre-ground prey model raw, mixed with kibble. We are having trouble switching completely to raw because Warden has been getting up in the night vomiting because he's hungry... the raw digests so much faster than the kibble and at about 4am he's so hungry he gets sick. His last meal is at 8pm.

Anyone have any advice for this? At this point, the pre-ground is more convenient as it contains the right amount of meat, bone, and organ and is readily accessible because a member of our walking group grinds it.

Is there anything I could add to his food other than kibble to help last him through the night? He gets supplements, pumpkin, and the occasional egg with his food also. He is lactose-intolerant and we are trying to avoid grain. I don't mind adding kibble honestly, but he gets kibble on daycare days (lunch and snack 3x a week) and I'd prefer to do raw as much as possible when he's home!

Thanks all :-)