German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Questions about 12 week old teeth
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
madis

Default Questions about 12 week old teeth

Before I get deep into this, these are things I know/understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):
-OFA hips and elbows at 2 years old
-Underbite (overshot) jaw is disqualification for confirmation

Ok- Alvin is 12 weeks old and was born with a slight underbite.

[SKIP TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE SHORT VERSION] Our breeder told us we could get another puppy, but we wanted temperament over conformation because he is training for a Therapy program. I started out with absolutely no intention of breeding/showing him but now that he has grown into his skin a bit, his structure looks great (per breed standard). I'm worried he will be a bit oversized but so was his sire and grandfather, who hold titles. Not to mention he had an outstanding bubbly temperament. My main focus is to put him to work with therapy and if that's not enough for him then maybe move into some other organization. Our breeder sold his sire and when I sent her updated pictures of Alvin she said she seemed really impressed with how he had filled out. His vet also said he is a very impressive GSD and he will be a nice stocky boy.

His underbite seems to be fixing itself, hypothetically if they do fix themselves, can he be shown? Now, I don't really care to show but I would like to stud him out. Would he be worth anyone's time as a working dog with no show titles? He comes from a predominantly working line.

Please be honest but cordial.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
madis is offline   Reply With Quote