German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - training not dependant on exercise???
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
nicky

Default training not dependant on exercise???

I think I learned something important today!?! I always thought if my dog got LOTS of exercise she would be easier to train, better minded, and just chill the heck out. Today we went to the trainer. We had to leave early in the morning so she had no exercise this morning and was in the car for the 2 1/2 hour drive there.

I was amazed how she wasn't all crazy and did very well in the session. I always thought I'd have to tire her out before we trained because she is so hyper. The best part was that after the session and for the rest of the day she seemed just as tired as our long hikes and even seemed "happier", if that makes sense. Plus, she learned a lot.

Don't get me wrong, we will still go for our long hikes but I don't think it matters quite as much if we miss a day hiking as long as I give her the mental stimulation with training.

Am I crazy or does the mental stimulation matter just as much, if not more, than actual physical exercise.

BTW My dog learns quicker at the trainers than me
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote