German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Ugh. My sister's dogs.
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Colie CVT

Default Ugh. My sister's dogs.

This past weekend was the first time that my sister, her husband and their two chihuahuas got to meet Doyle. The two of them are more used to my golden Myles who has to be awarded the most patient dog on the planet award. He is so very good with other dogs, and so tolerant of things that he shouldn't be. Doyle is different however. He's a puppy. One that has been around dogs, and isn't used to me really patrolling his interactions with them.

To her credit, my sister's little female, who should be coming up on a year old soon was bowled over this past summer during a fear period by two boxers. While they didn't physically hurt her (Chloe is 3 lbs now and Cooper is 4), it scared her to where she was even afraid of a dog smaller than her! We had a toy poodle start boarding with us this past summer and she was even afraid of her when she was a puppy. It's been a long road, but I see signs that Chloe is getting more relaxed than my sister realizes.

We had gone on a really long hike in the rain/slush before coming over so I knew both of the boys were tired. However the excitement of going to grandma and grandpa's house always remains. Plus Cooper and Chloe start barking and flipping out the instant that we walk in. Doyle didn't know what to think about that, so I ended up sitting on the floor near him, trying to get him interested in the bully stick my mother had really kindly bought for him (Myles had his own too).

Doyle was curious about these two new dogs. He hasn't shown signs of being bad with little dogs. We have encountered many between the hiking group and our outings, plus the dogs who board here. He is a puppy, so he is a bit of an idiot, but for a baby, he knows dog language pretty well. He was curious about Chloe because she was curious about him. But my sister freaked out and kept trying to shoo him away when they were showing signs of trying to interact.

I would just get him settled when one of them would come nearby and be sniffing at him. The time when Chloe got pretty close, Doyle went from watching her to getting up and taking a few playful bounds at her. His paws were spread wide and he never tried to snap or anything. Que Chloe running for my brother-in-law, Cooper barking and my sister getting upset. Get Doyle back and settled again. This time Cooper decides to come over. Again, Doyle tries to engage in play, more barking and freaking out.

It was obviously confusing him. He was standing near the couch where my sister was sitting. She has encouraged Cooper to bark/snap at other dogs and people who come near. She thinks it is cute and refers to it as "protect the mama". He tried pulling that at Doyle's face and he went from standing and looking a bit perplexed to snapping once, a few inches away from where the little dogs were. He pulls this all the time at Myles, but again, my golden is one of the most patient dogs on the planet and he simply stays still or turns his head a little to the side. Plus Cooper grew up with Myles always around.

Thankfully at that point, my sister decided to put them away. I have called, maneuvered Doyle so he was sitting next to me. I didn't yell at him or discipline him in any way. It was clear he was confused, not certain what to think of the matter. Soon as they were gone, he easily settled down and started to chew on the bully stick.

Later when my sister gathered her dogs to go, Doyle was laying under the dining room table with Myles, facing where my sister stood with full access to get up if he wanted to. He just laid there and watched her with little interest. Thankfully her dogs weren't making any more noise but ugh.

Hopefully I handled that okay, and honestly Doyle for the most part is a pretty good little guy. He has his puppy moments still, but he is perceptive, smart and he likes to be where I am. I just am hoping that my sister doesn't use that as a reason to bar me from bringing Doyle to things. My boys go everywhere with me. And I know my parents like having them around, especially my dad. So just blah lol.

Mostly guess I wanted to rant and hoped for some ideas or the like. I don't think that how he acted was something to be super crazy concerned about. I'm mostly figuring my sister will just be my sister and make life **** lol.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote