German Shepherds Forum banner

Century Farms

10K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  FirefighterGSD 
#1 ·
I am very interested in getting a pup from this breeder. Anyone have a dog from them/ have anything to say about them? Seem pretty good to me -- but then again i'm a newbie to this.

Century Farms, LLC - Century Shepherds

#2 ·
I don't really care for Century Farms, I've never dealt with them personally but they don't title their dogs, they breed long coated GSDs and they charge different prices for different colors.

#4 ·
Working titles like BH, IPO, SchH or titles in the show ring or titles in agility, obedience, rally, etc. It looks like their dogs are just pets which is fine for a pet owner but I personally don't like that in a breeder. I want my breeder to do some kind of sport or show their dogs.

#6 ·
I quickly looked at their website and I found it interesting....looks like they put a premium on hips, health and temperament....along with a variety of different types....

Since I am a fan of coats, I would guess you could count on getting a coat if that's what you wanted.

Who cares if the dogs have not been "titled" via the AKC....if you are looking for a dog which primarily is a companion dog. Otherwise, if you have heart set on titling the dog in one of many titles available, it might be a consideration but by no means a deal breaker. Sire and Dam need not be finished or titled in order for you to pursue getting a pup titled.....it's all in what YOU want.....

SuperG

#9 ·
>>"It's all in what YOU want"

No, if the dog doesn't have the genetics, nerve, or thresholds to do it, then it cannot be titled...at least not ethically.

#7 ·
Oh I forgot....at least one of their bitches is titled so the other poster was in error....

Renee is a beautiful bi-colored female born on July 8, 2007 and earned her first titles at the 2008 Mid Missouri Sieger show in Columbia, MO. She earned her International and National Championship Titles with a SG-1 rating.

Super G

#8 ·
Yeah, I just want a companion who will be healthy and trainable. I'm not looking to show or breed. And I think that the male "Zak" has a really cool coat, but I know that sometimes rarities in appearance carry health concerns. Is this not true with variance in coat?

#11 ·
I believe in certain breeds such as rough coat collies and aussie shepherds that variances in coat colors can carry some negative characteristics ( real health issues ) if certain coat colors are bred together such as a dual merle breeding.

I am not certain if the same exists with GSDs as I have never taken the time to look into it...excellent question on your behalf..perhaps someone in this forum knows the answer to your question.

SuperG

#12 ·
I am very interested in getting a pup from this breeder. Anyone have a dog from them/ have anything to say about them?
Why? What attracts you to this breeder?

I have no firsthand familiarity with their dogs, and their site keeps making my browser crash so I haven't been able to get a good look at what's posted there, but the couple of pages that I did see were sufficient to convince me that personally, I'd pass.

#16 ·
I guess the things that attracted me to this breeder are first the less important things of geographic proximity to me, for easy pick up and time to pick up the pup.. I will be able to get it in may and the earlier the better so it was perfect.

Also price and availability.. I want a female and they have one for $1500.. Which in all actuality is the high end of what I want to spend but still doable.

Lastly is that I truthfully do like the coat on the male but if long coats carry some sort genetic ailments I wouldn't be as drawn to them...

Question: so If it is limited registration only will I still be able to title in say agility if I wanted to? Not saying that I do but curious nonetheless.

#13 ·
I do not know this breeder so this is not about them.

Please explain to me how a breeder that does NOTHING with their dogs, other than being nice pets, knows enough about nerve and temperament in their dogs? How do they test these things? I have always wondered about that.

#17 · (Edited)
Limited Registration means that the dog is registered but no litters produced by that dog are eligible for registration.

So go for it.....get all the titles you can of these////Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility and Earthdog.

SuperG

#18 ·
For $1500 you can get dogs from much more accomplished breedings than these. In my opinion that price is way inflated for what I'm seeing here.

Long-coated GSDs do not, to my knowledge, carry genetic ailments. That said, a breeder who is specifically aiming to produce long coats may be sacrificing other things in order to focus on that particular trait, so I would be a little more cautious in evaluating such a breeder.

Yes, you can compete and title in performance events (such as agility) with limited registration. The only event you'd be restricted from is conformation showing, which would be a complete waste of time and money with these dogs anyway.

#19 ·
Linebreeding ? pretty heavy -- let's look at one dog "Simon"

His sire Baron Sterntal -- Baron Vom Sterntal

Baron's sire and dam are son and daughter of Rebel.

Kesse dam line has Ute - sister to Uland . Rebel is progeny of Uland.

Fina Baron's mothers mother is Ute , sister to Uland, sire of Rebel.

so just this portion of the pedigree is inbred U litter Sterntal.

Simon's mother Bobbie -sire line Hero II same - identical to Baron (Urass x Whilemina) . Bobbie dam line , repeating Urass again (Rebel x Kess both having U litter Sterntal) and again (through Jerry Lee) another Ute .
MORE (whilemina) Rebel which is Uland , U litter , Fina again which is Ute , so U litter again.

Pretty intense linebreeding , inbreeding on U litter Sterntal

woow

#24 ·
I just posted on the other thread. Site kept crashing for me too. So hard to read pedigrees.

Long coats should not have any more health concerns than stock coats. But if they are line breeding too closely or inbreeding I would keep looking. That will create health issues.

I will try to look at Holtgrew tonight at home.

Stick with us, we will find you a pup!!! :)

#26 ·
Okay so after some communication with Century, do you think these are appropriate questions to ask? Also... Is my terminology correct?

1)Why are many of your dogs not titled? Is it just that you don't like to sport them or are they not qualified or just unable?

2)What certification do Kaya and Zak have for hips and shoulders?

3)With no titles on Zak and Kaya why is the price so steep? It is knowledge (granted it's small) that normally that sort of premium for a limited registration comes from prestigious parents.

4)How closely inbred or line bread are Kaya and Zak?

5)Lastly would you consider a lower price for a spay clause?

#28 ·
I like Holtgrew despite the mixing of working and show lines. The OP was looking for show lines so may not be interested. I would buy a pup from here.

Merciel I respectfully disagree with your answer about why prices would be different with a spy clause. Many good breeders offer non breeding quality pups on limited registration for less than full registration.

#33 ·
Many good breeders offer non breeding quality pups on limited registration for less than full registration.
Yes.

It's very common among dog show people to offer puppies that they don't feel are show quality on a spay/neuter contract with limited registration, for a lower price. You can still get a nice puppy, and don't have to pay a fortune.

#31 ·
I have contacted Holtgrew so I will let you know what I get from them and still waiting on a reply from Huerta Hof... three days (i'm in the communication generation so that seems like forever... patience Alex).

Would Robin not reply to me because she may not think I am a fit for her pups?

#36 · (Edited)
There is a guy in Illinois, kennel named windy hollow breeders, looks like his dog will make good companions. He communicates well and pups are $1000
Holy cow this kennel produces some amazing (in my opinion) looking puppies. I LOVE the light brown sable look. If you look at the previous litters section about half way through there is a puppy with a pink collar that is BEAUTIFUL.

Email sent.

#40 ·
if you'd be interested in a little bit older female I know of two that are available. PM me if your interested, both sables/health certified/parents titled health tested.

#41 ·
And..... don't rule out rescue if you might be interested in an older pup or young adult dog.

#42 ·
Okay......

Mittelwest - they do have nice dogs. I had looked at them some years ago but had not been on their web page in a long time. I was little surprised at the number of litters. I also noted 7 rip off reports on them. I also know there are a few folk on this board that have dogs from them and they are happy. I suspect they may have become a commercial breeder. I don't know.

Windy Hollow - lovely dogs. But if I were going to buy a working line DDR/Czech cross I might want to see some titles and some indication of the dogs mental soundness and nerve. I don't see that.

As I am not a working line person I may have no idea what I am talking about but I have been told that this cross can produce some dogs that are not sound in the mind and breedings should be carefully planned. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#44 ·
Not standing up for the breeder but rip off reports is pretty sad. Its lets angry anonymous people spew with no factual back up. I read that all the time, its pretty comical. Great way to trash someone with no recourse. I like to find companies that I know on the site and see what they say. Its usually a disgruntled employee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.