German Shepherds Forum banner

Outdoor kennel dog box

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  chadmonger 
#1 ·
Im goin to be making a dog run otside maybe 7 foot by 20 feet and was wondering what type of dog box i should put in it.. my uncle had a hunting dog he kept outside and had a dog box like this .. theres a top on the box .. has any one seen this design? And would u recomend it? Also not sure if right section

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
i'm not one for leaving a dog outside in a kennel or not.
if you build a kennel make sure the dog can't climb out,
dig out, jump out and make sure he/she can't open the
kennel door. the dog box/house she provide some protection
against the weather. i would have something blocking 1/2
of the door so the wind can't blow directly in. across the
the entrance there would be an L shape laying on it's back
across the entrance. heat would really be nice. don't forget
bedding or a raised bed with bedding.

#5 ·
Heat is generally over-kill. The dog will get too hot in there, pull out the bedding, and not go in.

A properly sized dog house uses the dog's body temperature to keep the critter warm. If it is too large, it will not keep him warm. Whatever you hang over the door, may be something that your dog will pull off and possibly ingest.

GSDs like to jump on top of their dog houses and lay on them. Be sure that if it is near a side of the fencing the dog will not be able to use it to get out.

#9 ·
I would go with two smaller. I see you are in GR like me, so if it's cold like now and only one dog wants in, the dog house will be too big for the single dog to stay warm. They need to be the right size so that the dog stays warm (ie, not too big, assuming the dog house is for shelter and the dogs have other run/kennel space).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.