German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on using a prong collar?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chip18
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Used correctly prongs are fantastic tools. Used incorrectly they can be abusive. Important thing to remember when using them is to be tactful. Proper use of one is really something best coached 1 on 1. You cant really learn by reading about it and to a certain extent most probably couldnt learn to use them well by watching someone in a video. It has to be felt.

Use of them also varies dog to dog and situation to situation. It can be a little tricky.
This is well put advise! "Properly" used they can turn around a dog real quick! I did it wrong! The only dog I used it on...was the only dog I ever had that would not walk nicely on leash!!!

I got lucky in the sense that my ineptitude did not cause additional issues! If you can get qualified counsel, in the proper use of a prong collar then please proceed.

If you can't do that...no need to reinvent the wheel. I've already proven that it's not a tool that should be used by the unskilled.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote