German Shepherds Forum banner

Has your bond with your pup grown over time?

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Msmaria 
#1 ·
My bond with Smokey my husky has been pretty steady. He still doesn't like to cuddle but sometimes he'll put his head on my tummy when I'm lying down. He's super independent and I don't consider him very loyal to us per say...

My bond with Zeeva my GSD however has increased with time. She lets me cuddle with her and lays down by me if I ask her to without moving until I do. In fact I think she's developed a little bit of separation anxiety we've gotten so close...

So, do you think your bond with your GSD has grown over time? Do you think dog breed makes a difference with respect to bond over time?

#2 ·
No doubt the bond improves over time....in many ways...including separation anxiety...my dog now trusts that I will return....no more separation anxiety...If I'm the last to leave the house, I just tell her "guard the house"..she doesn't even bother working her way towards the door like normal if she's going out...she knows the deal... so yeah...the bonding and trust completely becames enhanced over time as we are speaking more the same "language".

As far as breed goes, can't answer as 3 out of 4 dogs I have had, have been GSDs........have had have...whoa...

SuperG

#6 ·
1 >>> your dog is loyal. he doesn't like to cuddle. my last GSD
was well trained, highly socialized and protective but he
didn't like hugs. i never felt he wasn't loyal besides being
loyal is something humans feel or express. i'm not
so sure a dog feels that emotion.

2 >>> her SA could be a training issue.

3 >>> i felt bonded to my pup when i send the deposit
months before he was born. i doubt he felt bonded to
me when he was born. lol.

4 >>> interesting question, very interesting.

1 >>> My bond with Smokey my husky has been pretty steady. He still doesn't like to cuddle but sometimes he'll put his head on my tummy when I'm lying down. He's super independent and I don't consider him very loyal to us per say...

2 >>> My bond with Zeeva my GSD however has increased with time. She lets me cuddle with her and lays down by me if I ask her to without moving until I do. In fact I think she's developed a little bit of separation anxiety we've gotten so close...

3 >>> So, do you think your bond with your GSD has grown over time?

4 >>> Do you think dog breed makes a difference with respect to bond over time?

#7 ·
Oh our bond had def gotten stronger! There were times when he was a puppy that between the crying, chewing, and poopy crate that I could hardly remember what made me decide to start with a puppy. Now, we both have to be touching the other one to fall asleep. :)

#9 ·
I think the breed matters a great deal. Our labs and now Tessa think we are their world. We had a Walker Coonhound once that was a nice dog, but personally she just didn't care. She was glad I fed her but not much more than that. I've since heard similar stories about some hound breeds.

#11 ·
I have a strong bond with all of them. Yes the bond got stronger over time with each one . It took the longest for me to bond with Robyn and she now probably has the strongest bond with me then any of them . She is my girl 100%. They all make me laugh, I go up the stairs for one second, they all follow me, just to go right back down. I haven't used the bathroom by myself for a long time. Brennan the golden puppy has taken a while to but now he is everywhere I am. He has even jumped in the shower with me. Training always helps with bonding, well for us it did.

#12 ·
I bonded to Sinister right away, the first night to be exact, it was truly love at first sight. I don't know if our bond can grow anymore than it has, the only person I love more than him is my mom. He is the best decision I have ever made, the best purchase I have ever made and he's my most prized possession. :wub:

I bonded to Draco right away too the first night I had him. Our bond grows everyday, he's my little baby and I adore him. :wub:

#13 · (Edited)
My bond with all my past dogs was always strong. When I was single [many years ago 1970s] my GSD Mac lived with me and went every where with me.
When my new pup Hoby was home for only a few days one night we were out on the lawn, I was watching Hoby play when he decided to stop sit and looked at me with a cocked head puppy stare. Just then a tree fell in the woods behind my home with a crashing thud to the ground. Hoby stood up and looked in the direction of the downed tree, then looked at me, walked over to me and sat down by my feet. At almost 9 months now, It was the beginning of an ever maturing strong bond for us.

#14 ·
I've always heard that huskies are independent.
I owned one when I was around 11 years old and she really stuck to the stereotype. Independent, runner, puller, hard to train in general. She was beautiful though.
Owning a GSD as an adult, and comparing the two, I wouldn't trade my guy for any other breed.
He was very aloof and independent as a puppy, never wanted to be rubbed(and I mean NEVER) and was always on a mission lol- I was scared I'd never really bond with him.
Now at 1 year old he's great, loving and loyal. He still has the strong will, confident personality, but he's definitely more open to an ear rub these days. :)

#15 ·
I bonded instantly to Hunter, and it has continued to grow and strengthen over time. We are inseparable now.

#16 ·
My bond with Niko increased as we did more things together. For a long time, I felt like he didn't really care for me because he is not one to cuddle up with me the way Rosa does (who I feel actually has a stronger bond with my husband). But after Niko and I started going running together, and I began taking him with me when I did errands, I definitely felt that he changed in how he interacted with me. He is more likely to follow me around the house, more likely to find me if I am working outside, more likely to stay by my side when my husband walks away, etc.

#17 ·
Same here. Can't say I had that instant bonding with Dex like others below. I kept Dex because others didnt want him, he was small, shy and a sable. He didnt care for cuddling and rarely wagged his tail at me. 10 1/2 months later, he loves me above all other things, maybe even his ball. When I fell the other day, he stopped chasing his ball to come back and check on me and lick me in the face. :D I get lots of tail wags, kisses, cuddles, nibbles now. He's a big baby. My son says he's a mommas boy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.