German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - When can he resume full exercise?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shade
Crowned Member

My personal rule of thumb is first week NO exercise at all, crated or leashed at all times and under constant surveillance. The second week I allow a tiny bit of freedom, if they can roam without running or jumping then I will remove the leash but they are still watched at all times, I also take them for easy walks on leash. Third week if the incision site has no swelling and is looking healed (as it should by this point) then I allow free rein to play and romp but still check it a few times a day to ensure they're not overdoing it. By 4 weeks it should be 95% healed and back to normal

In the meantime you can use frozen raw bones (freezing makes it last longer) I use knuckle or marrow. Stuffed kongs that are frozen (kibble and wet food are my go to though I switch it up with peanut butter, yogurt, etc). Also use mind games (puzzles, easy obedience). A fun game is the cup game (like the pea game for humans but changed up for dogs) using a few plastic cups and some treats.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote