German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Not sure I agree with the vet.....
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Springbrz
Elite Member

The history you give sounds like your guy has food sensitivities. I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Switch to a Limited ingredient food (LID) that only has one protein and one carb. Choose a novel protein your dog has never had (buffalo, lamb, bison). I like Nature's Variety Instinct but there are others.

2. If you can afford the expense I would do Dr. Dodds Nutriscan food sensitivity test.
NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs. It's about $300 but it gets good reviews. I myself am saving to afford it for my pup.

3. You can do an elimination diet on our own. Seems like you already started down that path. It does a bit of time to see results.

4. Make a 50/50 mix of water and Organic Apple cider vinegar. Wet a cotton make pad with the solution and gently wipe the inside the ear as deep as you can go without loosing the pad or hurting the ear. Do this 3 times a day. Be sure to dry the inside the ear after cleaning.

As for not agreeing with your vet. You wouldn't be the first, won't be the last. You could get a second opinion from another vet. Is there an holistic vet in your area?

Ultimately, it's up to you to use your best judgment.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome