German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Full time working parents.. suggestions..
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lark

I am so jealous of everyone who can leave their dog uncrated, and I hope to be able to do the same someday. Mine is crated from about 8am-4pm. Sometimes we can run home for lunch to let him out for 45 min. I am planning to start bike riding in the morning before I leave to help tire him. Right now he just runs around the back yard for a bit while I get ready for work.

My plan is to try to block off a room in the house and try leaving him uncrated in that room. He is still not ready to have free access, although he has gotten better (or I just have everything he could get into put away). I feel such guilt that he is crated, so I really hope eventually he will have free reign.

I also liked David Winners comment in another thread about having an outdoor dog kennel because I think my dog would love to be outside on nice spring days. He is too much of a barker currently, but maybe someday. He does seem to prefer inside when it is hot or cold, so outdoors would only work fall and spring for him.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote