German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Full time working parents.. suggestions..
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ralphie isn't crated so he has access to all his toys during the day, but on the occasional days that I work from home, he sleeps all day anyway. He's usually not active until the late afternoon. Sometimes I leave him with a stuffed Kong, but I don't think he messes with it much until later in the day. He's usually on the couch sleeping when I leave for work anyway. I tire him out when I get home then we play an intense game of fetch, work on training, long walks (weather permitting) etc. When it's warmer I take him for a quick walk in the morning, too, but since it's been so cold he has no interest in that lol.

I don't know if them sleeping all day is because they're insanely bored or if they do it because that's the schedule they're used to. I believe, on average, dogs usually sleep about 13 hours a day anyway. If Ralphie wanted to play and be active in the morning, he could be. He is definitely more excited and willing to be active when it's warmer outside.
Ralphie - GSD, rescue, Gotcha Day 2/10/13
Nightshade - born 6/3/2003 - Domestic medium hair/Maine Coon mix (feline)
James - Domestic short hair (feline), rescue, Gotcha Day 6/23/11
katro is offline   Reply With Quote