German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Fleas
Thread: Fleas
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
silverseahorse

Default Fleas

My 13 week old has fleas. I've dealt with fleas before however was hoping someone has a miracle cure that I just don't know about.

I have 2 cats, (3 and 4 years), an 11 month old GS x Husky and my 13 week old GSD pup, Summer. Summer is the only one with fleas which I am quite surprised about. Maybe her young immune system makes her a target? I've bathed all four and only Summer has fleas being drowned in the tub. No fleas for the others. All 4 were given Advantage (appropriate to their cat/dog status and weight) 2 weeks ago. Summer has been given Capstar 3 days in a row in addition to having flea powder brushed through her coat. I left out the flea powder for one day and the fleas are back. She lives inside, obviously she goes outside but she is mainly indoors. I have tiles and floorboards throughout the house that are vacuumed every morning and night by me (neat freak). My bedding along with the pets bedding has been washed and treated despite no living fleas on them, I was killing the potential eggs. I have also been mopping the tiles and floorboard with hot water and domestos (cleaning chemical that melts everything bar the tiles themselves!)

Ideally I do not want to load her with more chemicals! They can't be good for her and I know that they are not good for me! I am allergic to the powder and it causes severe asthma. I have breathing difficulties when handling the powder so dearly want to throw it out.

Have I missed any vital step? A vet told me to go ahead and apply some more Advantage because it has been 2 weeks. I am hesitant because I don't want to poison her, but I don't want the fleas either.

She doesn't obviously have fleas and there is no flea dirt, but if I run the comb through her I will get fleas and when I bath her, fleas come off. Also when she rolls over for a tummy rub, I usually spot a flea running away.

Thoughts?
silverseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote