German Shepherds Forum banner

Mucussy, fairly frequent BM's

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  A girl and her dog 
#1 ·
Hi all! I'm hoping for a few perspectives and suggestions.

My pup is appx 8-10 weeks. I've had him on raw, with the exception of some moist stuff from the fridge section at the store, since I brought him home from the shelter two weeks ago. The last day and a half he's been exclusively raw as the moist kibble is for training only. I usually do that daily and it replaces one meal. I haven't been able to for a couple of days.
Yesterday, he had a boneless chicken thigh and a portion of a turkey neck, but didn't finish the bone before my Chi gobbled it up.

He's had loose stools since yesterday and his gas smells a little fishy.. I believe it is from the lack of bone. Today I made sure he ate the bones too. I don't think he's lethargic but I do think he's resting more than usual. No vomit.... wet nose.... no fever.

Obviously, I'm concerned about Parvo; however, after the lashing that other person got, I was reluctant to post about this. He is almost due for his second round of vacs. He's not showing strong enough symptoms for me to rush him to the vet, but I am keeping a close eye on him. He's eating and drinking fine too.

Honestly, I really don't want to hear any cr*p from the vet about the raw diet. I'm afraid they'll focus on that and not take a really good look at him. Don't worry- he WILL get treatment, whatever he needs, if he needs it.

My plan for now is to watch him over the next (up to) 24hrs and see if there's improvement or decline with new symptoms. I have an E-vet near by if I need to go in the middle of the night and our vet is open till 7pm and are walk-in friendly.

So, raw feeders: are the stools due to lack of bone? Is it the turkey meat that's causing the smell? What's your experience.

See less See more
#2 ·
It could either be giardia or a colitis. Either way, if this were my dog I would switch to a bland diet and take a fecal to the vet (especially due to the age). I would also be looking for a different vet who won't focus on raw as a reason for everything. I ended up switching vets not long after we started feeding raw for that reason.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
Thanks a lot for the help! I got plain yogurt, but will get some pumpkin too. Since both my Chi and Nonny (my GSmix) have the same stool issue/consistency, I'm highly suspicious of the turkey necks, possibly the boneless chicken although not as likely, OR the mixture of moist kibble for training mixed with raw.

Nonetheless, they're fasting until tomorrow. Plenty of water though if they want. Still no vomiting and since the Parvo vac'd Chi has the same symptoms, I'm leaning away from Parvo but with much caution. It's such a devastating disease; I can't rule it out in my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.