German Shepherds Forum banner

how tight should be the prong?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  G-burg 
#1 ·
i got a prong for the adopted gsd that keep pulling on leash

had remove 2 link from it and put it on near top of the neck.
the prong stay there nicely,

when start to walk, the dog start to pull, the clip on part (on the back of the neck)to the leash slide down slightly, is it suppose to be like this?

the prong does help to "slow" him in pulling too much when i tug him.

should the prong be "stay" up there position?

#2 ·
http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

If you have large links, sometimes it is difficult to get the perfect fit. You can put a flat collar below it to hold it up, but sometimes the flat will slide under the prong. I use a 2" Ray Allen collar for this.

I use smaller link collars and add extra links to fit the dog so the adjustability is there. They seem to be easier to finesse than the larger collars too... If that makes any sense.

David Winners

#3 ·
What David said. With the largest links I find it impossible to get the right fit. There is a big size difference by removing and adding one big link ..the smaller links ( medium size) I have found to be more customizable. Plus on my slowly becoming arthritic 43 year old hands it is easier to take on and off. :)

#5 ·
I even just the smaller links on my GSD's to get the best fit!

The UPPER collar is the size I now prefer

Here is both on Bretta and the UPPER is the better sized link

#6 ·
I use a small and a medium. One thing to note is that the smaller collars will come apart easier with a hard correction, or if the dog bolts. I recommend using a backup collar in addition to the prong, particularly with a reactive dog outside on a walk.

Nice pictures Maggie!

David Winners

#7 ·
I use a small and a medium. One thing to note is that the smaller collars will come apart easier with a hard correction, or if the dog bolts. I recommend using a backup collar in addition to the prong, particularly with a reactive dog outside on a walk.

Nice pictures Maggie!

David Winners
This happened to my cousin's Doberman, the collar came right off while they were walking.

#8 ·
I have a 70-75lb male GSD and use the medium? (3.25mm) size. The small ones would mean so many more prong links the corrections really aren't effective for how I use the collar. The larger ones are overkill for a dog his size (maybe more for a huge mastiff or Rottweilier). I fit my prong collars like the top collar on the dog's neck in MaggieRoseLee's photo.

#9 ·
In response to the smaller links coming off when using hard corrections - do you think that is partially due to the quality of the prongs? My prong from Petco will come apart at random times during a correction or pull but when I switched to Herm Sprenger it has never come apart and it goes on the dog easier than the generic brand I got at Petco.

#10 ·
It's not something I'm willing to gamble on. I use a backup. I have had a Sprenger come apart on my CC when he lunged at another dog.

YMMV

David Winners

#11 ·
I fit it the same way Leerburg recommends. I double it with a fursaver or martingale.

#13 ·
I use the one with smaller links and back it up with a choke collar that is oversized by a couple inches. I know he isn't going anywhere with both on.

#14 ·
what kind of training are you doing to prevent
the pulling?
I think that's a valid question!

There's more to using a prong collar than just putting it on the dog.. They do need to be used correctly.. If they're not, then you'll just desensitize the dog to the collar and it will become ineffective.. Along with that, definitely invest in a good collar... not the ones from the local pet stores..

Usually the medium sized links are sufficient for any shepherd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.