German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Advice on New Rescue
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
wfakers

Default Advice on New Rescue

We just adopted Gypsy, a 3.5 year old girl, from a local rescue. She's perfectly sweet -- wonderful with our 2 year old, confident & solid with other dogs/strangers/bicycles/etc, easy-going in the house, but ready to go when we're outside to play, run, walk, whatever! Her basic manners are a little rusty, though. Her recall only happens on her terms, & she doesn't loose-leash walk very well. Walking her, while managing a stroller, is a bit difficult!

I thought the first step to working on those issues would be to start some clicker training with her (my first time with this sort of dog training), but we're still just trying to conquer "priming" the clicker. She seems to shut down when I begin trying to engage her, & especially once I introduce the "click". I'm trying to encourage her with my voice, posture, & am working on finding her favorite treats. She's a very soft dog; crumples at the first hint of sternness, so we keep all our interactions with her very light & encouraging.

Do you think she just needs time to bond with us, & grow more confident with our family? We've only had her since Saturday. She just seemed to fit in so naturally with us, that I assumed she'd be ready for some engaging training. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Whitney
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on New Rescue-gypsy-family.jpg  
wfakers is offline   Reply With Quote