German Shepherds Forum banner

Beginner here!! Need help

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 ·
Hello my name is Bryan and I recently got a German shepherd named strypher it is a girl I know strypher sounds like a boy name but I gave my lil brother the privilege to name her and that's what he chose plus I really like it. I'm a regular college student for New York that just love dogs. This isn't my first puppy but it will be the first puppy I actually take care of alone lol. So I'll take any of the help or tips I can receive please everyone :) . For one she is 6 weeks pure and just came home with me 2 days ago. Her owner was giving her iams right when I picked her up I stopped at petco to get her the blue buffalo co. For puppy obviously. I got that one because literally everyone but one person recommended that also I did my research. So as soon as I'm home the puppy poops n her feces is wet and like slimy so I'm starting to think its diarrhea ? Idk I'm very lost. Also when I started feeding her the new dried food it continue and she looks like she is constipated :( can anyone tell me what I should do I'm going to the vet tomorrow.

#3 ·
When you switch foods you gotta do it gradually, unless you want diarrhea. Like, over a two week period. But, it's really good you're going to the vet tomorrow, because there are lots more, way scarier, reasons she could be having diarrhea, and you want to rule those out. 6 weeks is super young to come home, so you need to be *extra* careful :)

Have you clicked the "forums" link yet? There are tons of excellent new puppy threads there. Start at the top with the stickies and read all you can!

And congrats on your pup!! Take pics and post :) Most of us are suckers for puppies here, lol!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Congratulations on your new puppy. Dont forget shots and no walking out doors until shes vaccinated. Theres lots of experienced people here so if you have questions just ask.

#6 ·
Always gradually change dry food otherwise if you just stop giving the old dry and start the new dry without phasing it in your puppy will get diarrhoea and tummy upset. Most dry food manufacturers state on the packaging how to introduce if puppy has not had before.

#8 ·
Nice looking pup....but we need more pics please.

I have used pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin) not the pie filling stuff to my pooch's advantage for both the runs and constipation. It's cheap and in every grocery store, canned. It doesn't take much, Google it and you will find much information regarding the use and amounts. But, the advice most have given about a slower transition to a new kibble is solid advice.

Yep, 6 weeks is young....keep that furry gal away from where other dogs have been....Petco's, Petsmarts, etc especially.

Congrats on the new lifelong buddy !

SuperG

#9 ·
:welcome: aboard and congrats on your new puppy! I wish I could say that I was thrilled over the fact that the breeder let her go at six weeks. We let our puppies go to their new home at ten weeks - but that is a subject for another time.

As some have already said, you need to make the food change rather gradually. Mix the new and the old - the greater % should be the old in the beginning. Increase the new % over about a two week period until you have completely eliminated the old.

The breeder should have already taken her to a vet for worming & shots. If not, you'll need to do that - your vet will put you on a follow up schedule for further medical needs.

Try to keep her away from other dogs (and places where other dogs have been) and too many people as well until she has had all of the shots.

One thing to always remember; there are plenty of folks here that are more than willing to give you the benefit of their experience - take advantage of it and keep those pictures coming.

:):)

#10 ·
Congrats on the new girl! She's a cutie.

A word of caution. Slimy poop can be an indicator of giardia or coccidia. I would mention it to the vet and take a sample in for the visit.

David Winners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.