German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy waking up yelping?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  robeangyalchen 
#1 ·
He's fine right now, but twice today He was woken up mid sleep yelping like he has been severely injured. Each time he has favored his from left leg. Any possible reasons for this? My vet is closed at the moment. I will take him to the emergency vet if I need to, but curious as to what you guys may think it could be.

He's 9 months old by the way.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#2 ·
Don't know what to tell you....obviously nothing traumatic has happened to your dog's front leg as far as you know??

Maybe it is Panosteitis....

I believe your pooch is in that age category for panosteitis and it does affect the long leg bones of large breed dogs at an earlier age.

Hope it is nothing worse.

SuperG

#3 ·
Yeah, I honestly don't know. He was at daycare yesterday but was fine all evening and all of this morning. He seems fine after his yelping bout is over with.

Is this something serious enough to go to the emergency vet or wait until Monday when my vet opens again?

#4 ·
Is he otherwise perky, eating, drinking and not vomiting? Any diarrhea? If not I wouldn't take him to an EVet given the cost. Puppies aren't good at hiding illness. That's just my gut thought.

Jelpy

#9 ·
When we got our pup at 2 months she was yelping in her sleep and shaking her paw like she was running or something. I was told she is just dreaming, and it went away as she grew. She still does it once in a while at 10 months, but u can tell she is dreaming. Sometimes its just that, but if you have a concern speak to your vet. I find sometimes when you Google symptoms, the feedback you get are just way off worst case scenarios. My pup is 100% healthy and she was as I said yelping in her sleep and still does it once in a while.

#10 ·
Harry (3yo) and Lola (5yo) both dream, when they are in a deep sleep their front and back paws move like they are running and Harry whines and yelps - it is just a dream for them.

The thing I thought of when I read your post, was maybe she was laying on her left leg and when she woke up, the leg was 'asleep' and she couldn't move it, as pups they are very vocal when they get hurt.

If it keeps happening and other issues crop up then discuss with your vet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.