German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Attacked at daycare - advice
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gauge

Default Attacked at daycare - advice

Hi - I am hoping you guys can give me your advice and opinions. I have a two year old german shepherd, Gauge. I have been taking him to a daycare at our vet office about two days per week since he was about six months old. This past week i got a call from the vet he was attacked at daycare by a pit bull.

The dogs are inside most of the time during the winter and the girl who watches them went down to get a dog someone was dropping off at daycare. When she was going back upstairs she heard all kinds of commotion and hurried in. She said the light somehow got turned off and Gauge was on top of the other dog with the other dog clamped onto Gauge's leg. She said it was hard to get him to let go. Gauge ended up with four deep punctures in his front leg (they put in stitches and a drain) and a deep puncture on his head. The other dog was completely fine with no wounds.

I feel so bad for him and putting him in the position of getting hurt. There are a few things that bothered me about the whole situation after. First, they brushed off the incident saying the other dog must have just got scared, since it has not had any previous aggression. So, that dog gets to stay with no repercussions. Next, the vet said well sometimes dogs just play rough, it's like boys on a playground. I totally get that, since Gauge does like to play rough, but this seems a bit more than playing rough. Also, during the winter, there are 15-18 dogs in a living room sized room, seems quite small upon looking back (during nicer months there is a large fenced area outside). I also don't think they should ever be alone unsupervised, even for a minute. For these reasons, I don't think we would be comfortable taking him back.

We were taking him there because the days I go into the office he would be alone at home for about 10 hours (I work from home 2-3 days/week). We live out in the middle of no where, so there are no options for dog walkers to come in around here. It is so hard to know what to do that would be the best for him. Do you think he would be ok left alone 2-3 days per week as long as we exercised him when we get home? We do try to do classes with him, but those usually are on Saturdays. We also have a couple friends' dogs he seems to play well with, so we could do more play dates - he seems to like to play. Or should we look into finding a different daycare - just makes me nervous not to be there to supervise myself. I sure hope this doesn't affect his temperament - he has such a goofy/easy going personality. Ideas and thoughts would be appreciated - thanks in advance!
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote