German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you take training treats in to account when feeding?

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  RiverDan 
#1 ·
I have been doing daily training with my 13 month old GSD. During our training sessions she eats quite a bit of dog treats. I try to buy high quality treats so I'm not worried about the treats themselves. Should I be lowering her food intake because of the treats she is eating? She doesn't seem overweight I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

#2 ·
If the dog is young, looks good and doesn't have any digestion problems, I do not. I don't compensate, I just treat on top of normal meals.

If they are prone to upset tummies or are a little overweight/borderline, I compensate and don't feed as much in their meals.

#9 ·
I keep both my dogs lean. If they started getting a little heavy I would take treat calories into account.
Right now they are doing very well. This last two weeks have been very training intensive. Taught them both, 'are you shy' and 'take a bow'. It looks cool seeing a big tough GSD playing shy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.