German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Abby's Story
Thread: Abby's Story
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
4paws

Default Abby's Story

Abby is my first Rescue GSD and my intention for this thread is to share, and get input concerning the challenges and accomplishments Abby & myself encounter together.

This is what I know to be true about Abby since I brought her home on 1/24/14:

Abby is a 2 to 4 year old female GSD. She has been re-homed at least 3 to 5 times from what I know.

Abby was returned to the shelter from her last owner because of her whining and howling. She was staked outside 24/7 so she could be a guard dog. The temps outside were 5 above to -15 below & I'm shocked she manage to survive through those conditions.

The vet confirmed she has had a litter of puppies. And Abby is now spayed but it appears it her stitches were poorly done as my vet put it nicely.

Abby has about 10 bb's in here and the vet thinks she was shot with bird shot from a shotgun at one time. The bb's can be found from the front of her chest, belly, and rear. Feel's like NO# 8 or 10 bird-shot from what I can gather.

Abby has some skin issues and I forget what term the vet used but some of the pimples can be squeezed and white ooze comes out of them. Abby also seems to constantly scratch and chew several locations on herself through out the day. Abby has no flea's or parasites which was confirmed by the Vet.

Abby has an extreme case of separation anxiety. She follows me every where in the house. She panic's when I get ready to leave and whines/ howls in her crate from the time I leave until I get home from work. I've set-up skype so I can monitor her when I'm away from home.

I'm not much into medicating people or dogs but in Abby's case my Vet suggested fluoxetine, and I started her on this yesterday 1/29/2014

Abby is otherwise very healthy and very loving. She is a bit wild but has quickly learned/ relearned how to sit and lay down. Abby shows no signs of aggression towards people at this point.

Right now my goals are to get her comfortable with her crate, simple obedience training, overcoming her separation anxiety, to learn I wont abandon her like so many others have, and to just have a good time playing with toys.. Abby didn't seem to know what playing was when I first got her.

I will post more when I have time, but I just wanted to start this thread while I had some time available to me. There are so many wonderful things about Abby that I will list soon, but I wanted to get the critical observations and facts out before I forget anything.

I Love you Abby & I won't give up on You
4paws is offline   Reply With Quote