German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Bathing Schedule
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
TaylorGSDT

Default Bathing Schedule

Not exactly sure where to put this. I've been trying to find out how often I should bathe my dogs, put there's a lot of conflicting opinions on google so I figured I'd come here.

I only bathe my dogs 4 times a year. Once in May, June, July, and August. The main reason for this is during the fall, winter, and spring months, my backyard consists of mostly mud. And I've reasoned that if I were to give me dogs a bath every time they got dirty, I'd be giving them baths every day. And whenever I bathe my male, he just goes out and rolls in/slides in the mud anyways so it's pointless. My concern is: could this be harmful to their coats for only bathing 4 times a year? I haven't seen any excessive shedding during the year I've had my male. I've actually not seen any shedding at all, from either of them. After the mud dries, I take a regular hair brush and brush out the dried mud, then just towel them down with a damp towel. Is this alright to do? Their coats are always shiny (when they aren't dusty looking before the towel down) so I never thought about it until my mother brought it up that I should bathe them more. Any info would be great. Thank you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TaylorGSDT is offline   Reply With Quote