German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is it wrong for me to want only a sable?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Airman1stclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting a sable at all! Sables are beautiful, first of all. Second, you can do your research and definitely find good caring breeders who produce sable puppies. The breeder of my sable Sarah was such a breeder, and we never regretted our choice. Sarah saved the life of my grand nephew when he was an infant, and a half sibling of hers saved his owner's life from the attack of a nasty mule.

Two keys to my choosing that breeder: First, it was in her sales contract that the puppy be OFA'd and Penn-hipped by a certain age, and copies of the x-rays be sent to her. Second, if Sarah did show issues with hips or elbows, the breeder would send me my choice of the next available litter, and I could also keep Sarah (most breeders will offer an exchange, then they put down the dog with bad hips/elbows). Her breeding animals were all schutzhund and/or French Ring titled. And, I talked to her at length weeks before Sarah was even born, and still consider her a friend, six years after Sarah has passed away. (Unfortunately she has retired as a breeder, and has only a few older dogs now, no breeding.)

Others here can give you lots more criteria for choosing a good breeder, but this is what helped me.
I've been looking for breeders in these forums. So many different states. Don't know if I should start a new thread cause so many people are probably tired of recommending the same breeders over and over. I'll keep looking though!
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote