German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - The Genius of Dogs
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Highly recommend this book. Much more along my line of philosophy in respecting the dogs intelligence and co operation , decision making , and mutual benefits from our associations. More along the ideas of Temple Grandin .
Hey, even on the forum - genetic obedience -- which capitalizes on this desire to connect , you have people mocking - airy fairy - wishful thinking.

I have browsed through it . At the moment it sits between Inside of a Dog by Horowitz and A Modern Dogs Life -- .
To keep the reading balanced have the behavioural classics by Pryor and spawn .. Thing Thinking Dog (clicker training).
I understand the magic possible with clicker training especially when well presented . However , there is something which bothers me about it . I think the animal is reduced , here are your options .

With that , recent discoveries using primates in social experiments.
A monkey learns that by touching a pad , a treat is released. Go crazy monkey. At one point other monkeys are wheeled in to watch .
After a while they catch on , are excited when they see the monkey get rewards . A third pad is introduced . The monkey is curious , touches it , and sees that the other monkeys share in treats . Not only does he benefit but so do the others.
What is the frequency of the monkey being altruistic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 01-29-2014 at 01:31 PM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote