German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Need help assessing my new dog...
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
lawhyno

Default Need help assessing my new dog...

Just got a completely green 12/mo DDR female from a reputable breeder. The breeder said the dog had "very high drives" and I had no reason to doubt that. The pedigree is outstanding so she's "genetically qualified."

I'm thinking she's a little timid and she's still feeling out her new environment. She's been howling at night (separation anxiety) but is otherwise timid and unsure. Not running away by any means, but slowly walking foreword...

Here's my concern…

It's been 3 days now. The dog is engaging a little more as each day goes by but she doesn't seem to be excited about treats. She also doesn't seem to bite with energy when I give her a toy. Basically, it's difficult to engage her right now. She's not very motivated for treats or toys like my last dog. Can this be because she's still a little uncomfortable?

I'm hoping this is just a common thing. If so, how long does it take for a dog to come out of their shell?

Also (since I'm here) … how long do you usually wait before walking the dog with a prong collar? I don't plan on giving corrections yet and I'm a little weary of making her uncomfortable at this stage… any insight will help. This is only my second dog but a very different dog than my last (at least it seems that way right now).
lawhyno is offline   Reply With Quote