German Shepherds Forum banner

My puppy won't eat

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  doggiedad 
#1 ·
Hello!

My 2 months old puppy, Kia, has been refusing to eat for several days. She is eating the recommended ration from the vet, Purina Dog Chow Puppy, she was eating it well until a few days ago. I've read that I should insist with her and basically let her "starve" until her survival instinct makes her eat it.

The problem is that I have another dog and two cats that can eat her food, that's why I can't just leave the food with her during the night to see whether she eats it or not (I can during the day, but at night I close her with the other dog in their "room").

Help?

EDIT: She has been dewormed last Thursday.

#2 ·
If a 2 mth old puppy is not eating, I would take her to a vet. I would never let her starve until her survival instincts set up.

Purina is a garbage food. You can do much better for just a little more money.

As far as feeding, I put the food down and give them 15 minutes. Nothing wrong with having a schedule.

#3 ·
Thank you for the fast answer.
I'm giving her the food every hour to see whether she wants it or not, I tried it 30 minutes ago and I mixed her favourite treats with the food but she would only eat the treats and leave the rest.

I took her to the vet last Thursday (for the deworming) and by that time I was feeding her both Purina and normal food (I didn't know that I was not supposed to give her the food I cooked) and the vet told me what ration she was being given and that she recommended Purina.

What do you recommend? I don't want to spend more than 20€ in 3KG of food because it's just too expensive and is almost nothing.

#5 ·
I don't want her to starve until she dies, eheh, I just asked if it's okey to let her out in the yard (so she can run around and get tired/hungry) and offer her the food every hour until she eats it.

I'm going to try to give her the food with my hand.

#10 ·
Thank you, I'm going to take a look at both Fromm and Taste of the Wild and see which one is better for my girl. I live in Portugal so I'll have to order it from the internet, they don't sell that here, in fact in Portugal PURINA is considered a good food! ... this is what the economic recession and crisis does

#21 ·
Bad news, Kia is not eating anything again. I tried to soak the food - nothing, mix some dog treats with her food - nothing. Basically she doesn't want to eat! She's driving me crazy and I'm desperate since she hasn't eat for 24 hours already, only the two treats that were in her food!

I already ordered the new food but it will take a few days to arrive. Remember that I'm from Portugal and it's not the same thing as the USA, if we want good dog food we have to order it from the internet because the stores only have horrible food!

Please help me! What should I do? Just keep insisting until she eats it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.