German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Training Plans?
Thread: Training Plans?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
mego
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
How do you train your dogs for obedience? I'm feeling so disorganized and almost embarrassed that I haven't gotten my puppy further trained now that she's 8 months old.

Do you train something specific at once or focus on a handful of things or do a little bit of everything?
Is there something you train every session while others you do less of?
I'd like to know all you want to share about your training regime.

I need to kick my training up a few notches and am thinking about mapping out how I want to proceed. I really want to be able to get us started competing this year but I sometimes feel overwhelmed, like I don't know where to start and what to focus on.

And here's one photo of what we get distracted doing instead of training for obedience

I consider a few commands the most important, some may agree or disagree: recall, a sit-stay, a down-stay, and a heel. We work on these the most. I mix them up and practice them all in one session usually so it's not monotonous and boring. When teaching them newly, if your dog doesn't know how to do one, I focus a whole session on that. I also train with mixing up using food as a reward or playing. You get a feel for which ones your dog is really solid on. Mine's solid on down stay so I don't train that one often anymore, we put more time into heel. I hardly spend any time with tricks but sometimes they are fun