German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Thyroid - Black Skin & Loss of Fur
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harry and Lola
Elite Member

Default Thyroid - Black Skin & Loss of Fur

Lola has a thyroid problem which I can manage most of the time, however with seasonal changes and in particular summer the following symptoms either happen or get worse:-

- skin goes blackish (usually groin area & under armpits
- fur thins out or disappears on groin area
- constantly licks these areas
- ears flare up and go very red & sore looking (she scratches them also)
- has dandruff like symptoms, when I brush her, little bits of dry flaky skin end up the in the brush

I have been managing this for about 3 years now by giving her 1 Oroxine twice a day (similar to Thyroxine), 1/2 macrolone twice a week & 1 stilboestrol a week.

However about 3 weeks ago, symptoms started getting bad so for the past 3 weeks I have increased Oroxine to 1 1/2 twice a day, macrolone to 4 times a week and stilboestrol 2 times a week and symptoms are not improving. Usually symptoms settle down after about 2 weeks of increasing meds, however she is still not looking good and I have noticed the blackish pigment is going down her back legs and around her bottom.

I will go have to go back to my vet to discuss, but I was just wondering if anyone else has to manage this and what do you do?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on other products, either medical or homeopathic.

The 2 photos below are of her groin area, had her lay on her back with legs apart. You can see the blackish areas and lack of hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Thyroid - Black Skin & Loss of Fur-lola-groin-1.jpg   Thyroid - Black Skin & Loss of Fur-lola-groin-2.jpg  

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote