German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Thyroid - Black Skin & Loss of Fur
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Harry and Lola
Elite Member

Thyroid - Black Skin & Loss of Fur

Lola has a thyroid problem which I can manage most of the time, however with seasonal changes and in particular summer the following symptoms either happen or get worse:-

- skin goes blackish (usually groin area & under armpits
- fur thins out or disappears on groin area
- constantly licks these areas
- ears flare up and go very red & sore looking (she scratches them also)
- has dandruff like symptoms, when I brush her, little bits of dry flaky skin end up the in the brush

I have been managing this for about 3 years now by giving her 1 Oroxine twice a day (similar to Thyroxine), 1/2 macrolone twice a week & 1 stilboestrol a week.

However about 3 weeks ago, symptoms started getting bad so for the past 3 weeks I have increased Oroxine to 1 1/2 twice a day, macrolone to 4 times a week and stilboestrol 2 times a week and symptoms are not improving. Usually symptoms settle down after about 2 weeks of increasing meds, however she is still not looking good and I have noticed the blackish pigment is going down her back legs and around her bottom.

I will go have to go back to my vet to discuss, but I was just wondering if anyone else has to manage this and what do you do?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on other products, either medical or homeopathic.

The 2 photos below are of her groin area, had her lay on her back with legs apart. You can see the blackish areas and lack of hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lola groin 1.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	172002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lola groin 2.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	172010  

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome