German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Exercise no matter what
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kaimeju
Master Member

Yes my dog gets walked at least twice a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. And we generally include some other form of exercise as well, either practicing for Rally, tracking, or fetch in a big field. The shortest walks she gets are 30 minutes. I have taken her out in rain, winter storm advisories, sleet, ice, you name it. I will definitely cut walks short if the heat is bad because heat tolerance can be an issue with this breed. Then again, I also follow the philosophy of life that there is no such thing as bad weather, only improper gear. The only time I skipped walking her and bribed my partner into doing it was when I was literally too sick to get out the door without shaking.

Honestly human beings need to be exercising this much at minimum anyway, so why not bring your dog with? If you can't walk for an hour or two every day without discomfort, that's not a good sign (barring specific medical conditions).

Long jogs I used to do with her more often, but the pavement makes both of our joints hurt so I stopped doing it. Now I do skiing/snowshoeing with her because it is much lower impact.