German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Polar Vortex and your dogs
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deno

Default Polar Vortex and your dogs

My question is at what temperature do you feel comfortable leaving your dogs out? My 2 dogs, Dex & Lexie are use to a life of leisure, they are in the house whenever we are. They have to stay out for about 10 hrs every work day where they roam about 3-1/2 acres chasing birds & squirrels all day long while supplementing their diet. At the start of this cold snap I left them in the garage where they had their things to chew on, but they decided to chew up a buddies pool case along with a few other of my things. They had never done anything like this before other that Dex chewing a small hole in a leather couch when he was a young puppy. They did this on purpose because they didn't like being locked in the garage. Any way I felt guilty leaving them outside yesterday when the temperature was 7 degrees with a wind chill of -20 . They have 2 very well insulated and placed dog houses that they refuse to use. I was very concerned leaving them out in these conditions so I made sure they were checked on every hour. They seem to be happy and care free in these conditions.
My question is based on young healthy German Shepherds.
Deno is offline   Reply With Quote