German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Breathing Heavily/Fast While Sleeping?

14K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Rocky B. 
#1 ·
I have a 3.5 month old pup who on occasion breathes fast and heavy sometimes while sleeping... Is this normal or should I contact a vet?

#2 ·
If you don't hear any wheezing and this doesn't happen all the time, my guess would be the puppy is dreaming. If there is any other indication of something that could be wrong, a vet visit is always best.

#3 ·
I had the same worries with my girl. As soon as she would fall asleep she would start breathing rapidly and would wake up panting. I checked her pulse, listened to her breathing, her heart, and checked her breath rate. I did this 3 times a day.... And still didn't trust my readings. I didn't sleep for nights. Finally, after taking her to the vet, it was confirmed that my readings were accurate. She was just fine.... And dreaming :). I had convinced myself that she had a heart murmur, or congestive heart failure.... I'd say take your baby to the vet if for nothing more than to put your mind at ease... But my opinion is, it's a puppy dream

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
Diseases in any part of the respiratory system, and even in other parts of the body, can lead to breathing problems in dogs.

The respiratory system has many parts, including the nose, mouth, throat (pharynx and larynx), windpipe (trachea) and lungs. Air is pulled in through the nose or mouth and is then carried down into the lungs, through a process referred to as inspiration. In the lungs, oxygen is transferred to the red blood cells. The red blood cells then carry oxygen to the rest of the body.

While oxygen is being transferred to the red blood cells, carbon dioxide is transferred from the red blood cells to the air within the lungs. It is then pushed out through the nose or mouth through a process referred to as expiration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.