German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Having a hard time making up my mind on Raw diet
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Okin

Default Having a hard time making up my mind on Raw diet

I am currently feeding my dog Fromm Large Breed Dog food and we have been very happy with it. I will add some pumpkin, frozen green beens or a raw egg to it from time to time. The stools are good and she seems very fit and has plenty of energy. I am always looking to do what is best for my dog so I have been doing a lot of reading about raw.

I have had two vets and they have had very different opinions on raw feeding. My first vet, who moved out of state, was very against it. She said she had seen dogs get very sick because of it and their owners were just trying to do what was best for their dogs. Based on this I kind of put it in the back of my mind.

So I got a new vet at the same practice and asked her about it. She told me she was not against it. She did warn that my previous vet had her father's dog on it and the dog got Salmonella and almost died. I'm assuming that is what my previous vet was basing her dislike of it on. From what I read that isn't very common for a healthy dog to get. My current vet suggested that if it is done to be very careful to balance the diet and to be extremely clean. Always clean the utensils and surfaces as well as the dog's bowl. I kind of feel that is what you would do anyway like I do when I prepare meat for my family. She seemed to prefer the prepared raw diets, probably because they are already supposed to be balanced and you don't have to deal with as much raw meat preparation. From the research I have done I don't think there is any way I can afford a prepared diet. I have not been able to find any raw feeding coops in my area. I'm not even sure what answers I am looking for here it is just hard to figure out what is best!