German Shepherds Forum banner

thinking of adding new pup to family but......

778 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sasha2008 
#1 ·
We are thinking of adding a new GSD pup to our family but are not sure how our 6 year old male GSD will react. He is good with some dogs but not others. We've have never seen him show teeth to another dog but his hackles will go up and he will bark and get right in their face sometimes. We don't want to add a new puppy and have him not accept it. So any advice would be appreciated. :help:

#2 ·
I'd think your best bet with this would be to either find a breeder that has a lot of experience placing pups and looking at temperament, or finding an older rescue that's know to be on the submissive side, but not overly shy or fearful. My husky is pretty similar to what you're describing, so we're in the same boat! Regardless of whether you go with a breeder or rescue, you're going to want to find someone that's REALLY going to be able to help you out with temperament. I mean, you can definitely work through issues if you introduce the dogs slowly and well, but finding a more easy-going dog in the first place is going to make it much easier and start you off on the best possible foot.

#3 ·
Think the best thing would be to start being more pro-active in taking him out and about with other dogs and then seeing how he reacts and how well you can PREDICT his reactions.

If he hates all puppies, that's an issue. If he hates all little dogs, that may be an issue.

If he acts well with all puppies that's great. If he prefers female to male dogs then you know you will have to get a female pup.

Until you KNOW how he will be I'd not think of adding another dog because, especially a puppy, will lose if it goes bad. Your current dog isn't asking to add a pup to the house and he needs to be your priority. The reason I have a 5 year split in age for my dogs is because I USE those 5 years.

I use them to train, socialize and learn my dogs behaviors. So if and when I do decide to add another pup/dog I KNOW what to expect from my older dog(s). How I have to manage them (or not) where there may be issues (or not) and so I've set up the situation to be ideal as possible for my current dogs as well as my new one.

Maybe go back to dog classes for a bit so you can be in a controlled environment to not only observe your dog but regain a leadership role that is a huge help in general as well as when in a new situation like when you get a new puppy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.